Old 22-05-2006, 06:03 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up Seaweed? A general fertilizer?

Is seaweed (in it's pure state) a good fertilizer for all types of fruits and vegetables? I am thinking more for growing; Garlics, Potatoes, Carrots, Cabbages, Brocolii, Onion, Melons and Tomatoes.
Old 22-05-2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

Default Seaweed? A general fertilizer?

guerseygrower wrote:

Is seaweed (in it's pure state) a good fertilizer for all types of
fruits and vegetables? I am thinking more for growing; Garlics,
Potatoes, Carrots, Cabbages, Brocolii, Onion, Melons and Tomatoes.

As a general fertilizer, I don't think seaweed contains enough NPK to
make a difference but is helpful in other ways. I found this tidbit
online that sums it up nicely:

"SEAWEED MEAL AND RAW SEAWEED
Again, an important principle must be kept in mind: We do not use
seaweed as a source of NPK-type plantfoods. In fact, seaweed contains
only a smidgen of nitrogen, a speck of phosphate, and a morsel of
potash. Its signal values are in the excellent assortments of secondary
and trace minerals it provides, such as magnesium, sulfur, iron, zinc,
iodine, molybdenum, boron, manganese, and copper.

Also, seaweed is a good soil conditioner, serving to loosen and improve
tough, cloddy soils. In addition, it acts as a chelating agent to help
plants glean minerals for an adequate diet."

..
Old 23-05-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer

D.Reid wrote:

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message

guerseygrower wrote:

[...]

Wow...makes ya wanna go cleanup the beach...and build a bigger compost pile!
Dave (has his work cut out for him)...Down in Florida

Whimper ....sandy beaches....warm water.... whimper

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East

Old 23-05-2006, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
D.Reid

guerseygrower wrote:

[...]

.....Ooooooooooooohhhh...where the sun never shines. I'm sooooo sorry.
was 95 here today...is that good?....or bad?

Dave (swettin' his brains out already)(what little he has)...Down in Florida

Old 23-05-2006, 11:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George.com

guerseygrower wrote:

[...]

I put it through the compost bin and in liquid composts so it breaks down
and converts the nutrients in to a more stable and ammenable form. Unless
chopped up quite finely seaweed does take quite a time to break down I find.
Having said that, a mate puts it under his lawn mower and then straight on
the garden as a mulch. It is often described as the perfectly balanced
fertiliser as it contains every mineral and trace elements necessary for
your soil. It is low in things like NPK however so are animal manures.
Seaweed mixed with manures is probably a very good combination. Seaweed in
addition to other fertiliser also probably a good combination. By itself,
others have given good advice. My opinion, use it quite liberally but along
with other fertilisers and composts.