Old 15-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] bunjin style

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Berggoetz"
Iam not finding mch info on the bunjin style. Is it treated differently
tha other styles, like it's not a true bonsai? Also, is there a
different fertilizer to use since you want long and thin instead of
short and fat?
Thanks, Brian

----------------

Hi Brian,

There is comparatively less information available about this style because
there are no real formulae for bunjin creation. Someone (Bill V. I think)
recently cited the idea that the bunjin-gi is not really a style, as it is
more of a "feeling."

FWIW, there is plenty of attention paid to this style in John Naka's books
(#2 mostly, I think) and in Deborah Koreshoff's book.

You fertilize no differently for bunjin than for any other style, but you
must take into account just how much foliar development you're after.
Developing trees = lots of fertilizer. Trees in refinement = little
fertilizer.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas