Old 23-05-2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

Default Brambles

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
ups.com...
The owner found the ultimate solution. . .They borrowed a couple of
little goats, and put them in the backyard. Within a week to 10 days,
the Boysenberries were nowhere to be seen. . .just bare ground! The
cute little goats had done their job.

Goats work great! I used to live in a very rural neighborhood and the back
of my house faced what at one time had been an old farm. The one field was
an enormous (about 3 acre) mound of solid blackberry brambles. They brought
in goats and once that was cleared to the ground they removed the goats and
replaced them with pigs. The pigs rooted out the last of the stuff, goats
and pigs did a fine job of also 'fertilizing' and then she planted her
dahlias to start a mail order business. Once the dahlias came up at least by
a foot or more she let loose her chickens every day and they took care of
the grubs, cutworms and earwigs. Worked quite well. This may not be an
option if you live smack dab in the middle of a city but it sure was dandy
for her situation.

Val