Old 20-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Registered User

Question Brambles

can anyone tell me how to eradecate bramble bushes . they are talen over my daughters garden and she want to stop them from keep coming back
Old 21-05-2006, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones

Default Brambles

How big is the garden?

How tall is the bramble?

Is it OK to wipe everything out, or do you currently have bramble mixed
with other plants that you don't want to kill?

If you want helpful answers, you have to provide more information.

Old 21-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether Jones
How big is the garden?

How tall is the bramble?

Is it OK to wipe everything out, or do you currently have bramble mixed
with other plants that you don't want to kill?

If you want helpful answers, you have to provide more information.
its about 3 feet tall and about 2 and half wide ots on its own as we have managed to clear the rest garden not big only about 30 feet .and yes we wont to wipe it all out thanks
Old 22-05-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones

its about 3 feet tall and about 2 and half wide

That's just a baby. I've taken out ones 8 feet tall and 10 feet wide.

Soak it with Round-Up on a cool sunny day.

It will be dead in 3 weeks.

Then cut it off at the base with a good pair of bypass loppers and burn
it.

Old 23-05-2006, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

I don't know where your daughter lives, whether it's a city lot or a
country property, but I'll tell a little story about my next door
neighbor, a number of years back. We all lived in a suburb on large
cul-de-sac lots. The neighbor property had been rented out, and the
back yard which had a few little Boysenberry plants, got TOTALLY out of
control under the "care" of the tenants. The Boysenberries took over
the entire rear yard, and where at least 7 feet tall. They were so
thick you couldn't get into them to do anything, other than perhaps
begin hacking with a machete.

The owner found the ultimate solution. . .They borrowed a couple of
little goats, and put them in the backyard. Within a week to 10 days,
the Boysenberries were nowhere to be seen. . .just bare ground! The
cute little goats had done their job.

The neighbor took the fat and full goats back to their owner, who was
glad to have not had to feed them for those days. When little berry
sprigs began to spring up once again from the old root stock, the
neighbor used Roundup on them. . .End of problem. The cost of Roundup
on those few sprigs/shoots, wasn't costly. If he had tried to spray
those bushes when they were 7' tall and thick as thieves, the cost of
enough Roundup to eradicate would have been prohibitive.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Old 23-05-2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
ups.com...
The owner found the ultimate solution. . .They borrowed a couple of
little goats, and put them in the backyard. Within a week to 10 days,
the Boysenberries were nowhere to be seen. . .just bare ground! The
cute little goats had done their job.

Goats work great! I used to live in a very rural neighborhood and the back
of my house faced what at one time had been an old farm. The one field was
an enormous (about 3 acre) mound of solid blackberry brambles. They brought
in goats and once that was cleared to the ground they removed the goats and
replaced them with pigs. The pigs rooted out the last of the stuff, goats
and pigs did a fine job of also 'fertilizing' and then she planted her
dahlias to start a mail order business. Once the dahlias came up at least by
a foot or more she let loose her chickens every day and they took care of
the grubs, cutworms and earwigs. Worked quite well. This may not be an
option if you live smack dab in the middle of a city but it sure was dandy
for her situation.

Val

Old 24-05-2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Myrl Jeffcoat

Wow - that's a very effective and interesting way to "organic" garden!
I had no idea about the pigs and chickens, but it makes perfect sense
when you stop to think about it.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

[IMG] code is On

brambles Lu United Kingdom 12 01-09-2004 09:38 AM
Getting rid of brambles. Zapp Brannigan United Kingdom 21 02-10-2003 01:32 AM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 12:12 PM
What kind of soil under brambles? anne United Kingdom 1 09-09-2003 12:12 AM
Killing Brambles Barbara B United Kingdom 9 30-12-2002 12:08 PM