Old 23-05-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Ploidy?

IMHO 4N is a trait one should look for, not 3N. 3N can be a mule when used
in breeding programs since it has a mismatched chromosome count in breeding
with 2N or 4N plants, although the well read breeder know this isn't always
true either. That is not an issue if one doesn't want to breed. That said,
4N plants are larger and have more substance than either 2N or 3N plants,
which make them more desireable, IMHO.

YMMV

K Barrett

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
Should one look for this characteristic in an orchid? Maybe 3N if one
only wants to collect and raise? I am way over my head here but have
been reading, which sometimes brings trouble ;-)).
Next, how do you find these plants? It is not commonly listed but one
writer said that most or many sellers sell 3N plants, true?
Joe T
Houston