Old 24-05-2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default Felling a Large tree: Costs.

On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:37:46 +0000, Mildew
wrote:

Hello. I am new round here. I have a fairly small garden (around
60feet).My Silver Birch is now around 8metres high and it's thirst for
water has been creating cracks in my neighbour's wall which stands
2feet from it. The coucil have given me permission to have it felled.
It will have to be done bit by bit ,of course. Does anyone have a very
rough idea of how much an average Insured tree-feller might charge for
this type of work? Unfortunately, I have no idea at all. Here's hoping
and thanks.

Variables include:
tree size (diameter of trunk and spread of crown as well as height)
tree condition (healthy/safe to climb or decaying and scary?)
obstacles (glass greenhouse? immoveable 18th century stone carvings?
terra cotta tile roof?)
access (drop branches into the chipper, or snake individual armloads
through seven gates up a 30 degree slope?)

It's impossible to offer a price without seeing the site. It sounds
fairly small and simple, and might be a half-day job if you can find
an arborist willing to break a day in half. In TX, I'd want at least
$300 to $400 for such a job on average, but I have no idea what the
going rate is for similar in UK. An easy flopper might go cheaper,
and a real pain might cost more.