Old 24-05-2006, 03:57 AM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

Default Biotec 5.1 filter?

"~ janj" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 May 2006 19:57:57 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Does anyone have a Biotec 5.1 filter? Is it effective, easy to clean?

I'm currently using a Cyprio 1000, but it clogs far too often. I played
with
a homemade Flowerpot filter last year, but it leaked like a sieve. I
really
think the commercial filters are a rip-off, but the ease of use and
aesthetics are definitely appealing. It pretty much has to go above
ground,
as I have VERY little space and few options for hiding. Unless I put it in
the neighbour's yard. I seriously doubt they'd notice in that weed patch.

Hi Bill,

Was the flowerpot filter homemade or commercial? Where was the leak? Did
you use silicone around the fittings? ~ jan

Yes, homemade, lots of sillycone. The biggest problem was the shape of the
pot, it was slightly concave near the bulkhead and did not seal well. I may
hunt for a better pot before I spring for a filter. The second challenge I
have is funelling the output to the water fall. I never did find a large
flexible hose that I could flatten out between the rocks. Plan B was to go
with one of those barrel liners with the spout and scrap the waterfall,
which doesn't thrill me after all the time I spent choosing/cutting rocks.