Old 24-05-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

Default Biotec 5.1 filter?

Does anyone have a Biotec 5.1 filter? Is it effective, easy to clean?

I'm currently using a Cyprio 1000, but it clogs far too often. I played with
a homemade Flowerpot filter last year, but it leaked like a sieve. I really
think the commercial filters are a rip-off, but the ease of use and
aesthetics are definitely appealing. It pretty much has to go above ground,
as I have VERY little space and few options for hiding. Unless I put it in
the neighbour's yard. I seriously doubt they'd notice in that weed patch.

Old 24-05-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Biotec 5.1 filter? Tetra Filters

*Note: There are two *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Does anyone have a Biotec 5.1 filter? Is it effective, easy to clean?

I'm currently using a Cyprio 1000, but it clogs far too often. I played
with a homemade Flowerpot filter last year, but it leaked like a sieve. I
really think the commercial filters are a rip-off, but the ease of use and
aesthetics are definitely appealing. It pretty much has to go above
ground, as I have VERY little space and few options for hiding. Unless I
put it in the neighbour's yard. I seriously doubt they'd notice in that
weed patch.

================
I use the Tetra Filters which were not that expensive, and have been more or
less satisfied with them so far. Once the water clears of algae in spring
they don't clog quickly unless the pond is carrying a large load of fish. I
haven't hosed off the filter pads, or flushed the bio-cubes in over a week
now.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-05-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Tue, 23 May 2006 19:57:57 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Does anyone have a Biotec 5.1 filter? Is it effective, easy to clean?

I'm currently using a Cyprio 1000, but it clogs far too often. I played with
a homemade Flowerpot filter last year, but it leaked like a sieve. I really
think the commercial filters are a rip-off, but the ease of use and
aesthetics are definitely appealing. It pretty much has to go above ground,
as I have VERY little space and few options for hiding. Unless I put it in
the neighbour's yard. I seriously doubt they'd notice in that weed patch.

Hi Bill,

Was the flowerpot filter homemade or commercial? Where was the leak? Did
you use silicone around the fittings? ~ jan

-----------------
Old 24-05-2006, 03:57 AM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

"~ janj" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 May 2006 19:57:57 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Does anyone have a Biotec 5.1 filter? Is it effective, easy to clean?

I'm currently using a Cyprio 1000, but it clogs far too often. I played
with
a homemade Flowerpot filter last year, but it leaked like a sieve. I
really
think the commercial filters are a rip-off, but the ease of use and
aesthetics are definitely appealing. It pretty much has to go above
ground,
as I have VERY little space and few options for hiding. Unless I put it in
the neighbour's yard. I seriously doubt they'd notice in that weed patch.

Hi Bill,

Was the flowerpot filter homemade or commercial? Where was the leak? Did
you use silicone around the fittings? ~ jan

Yes, homemade, lots of sillycone. The biggest problem was the shape of the
pot, it was slightly concave near the bulkhead and did not seal well. I may
hunt for a better pot before I spring for a filter. The second challenge I
have is funelling the output to the water fall. I never did find a large
flexible hose that I could flatten out between the rocks. Plan B was to go
with one of those barrel liners with the spout and scrap the waterfall,
which doesn't thrill me after all the time I spent choosing/cutting rocks.

Old 24-05-2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Biotec 5.1 filter? - Square flower pots

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Yes, homemade, lots of sillycone. The biggest problem was the shape of the
pot, it was slightly concave near the bulkhead and did not seal well. I
may hunt for a better pot before I spring for a filter.

==============
Home Depot type stores sell square flower pots with no drainage holes in the
bottom. You can get a good seal using a bulkhead with these pots. They
come in several sizes.

Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952. Frugal ponding since 1995.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Disclaimer:
I do not post from Google, Earthlink, Newsguy, Usenetzone or Verizon.
Rude or obscene messages are not mine .
The person impersonating me is posting
through Earthlink.net & Usenetzone.com.

Help on a oase biotec screenmatic filter shrek Ponds 4 06-04-2010 01:52 PM
Oase Biotec 5 Pond Filter Mike Tyson About GardenBanter 0 25-05-2007 09:34 PM
Biotec 10 David Ponds 1 13-11-2003 10:02 AM
Any Feedback on an Oase Biotec 30? Critical Popperian Ponds 1 26-05-2003 10:11 PM
Filter Pads For Trickle Filter Paul Cimins Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 16-03-2003 01:32 AM