Old 24-05-2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Koi eating a snake

JoeT wrote:

In ten years of having a small koi pond this is a first. I just found one
of my 14" Koi swimming around with a 10" or so garder snake hanging from
his mouth ( no way to account for how much snake is inside the fish ).
Question is will he be able to process (swallow/digest) a snake properly
or is he in trouble? I know it would be next to impossible to catch him
and remove the snake manually... lol

hmmm. I don't know about Koi specifically - amongst other things, how warm
your water is now, makes a difference to how well they digest stuff. I
have seen cichlids eat fish half their own length, so _physically_ I doubt
there's much problem with a 14" koi eating a 10" snake. He won't be hungry
again, soon, that's for sure. While we think of koi as more vegetarian,
they do get a considerable amount of insect and crustacean food, normally.
--
derek