Old 25-05-2006, 02:53 PM posted to austin.gardening
austinartistdotnet

Default Pumpkin

Last year, the kids carved the Halloween pumpkin on the porch and we
washed the seeds into the front garden. Now we have a huge pumpkin vine
growing. There are about a dozen large leaves and probably five or six
flower buds. Since temperatures are getting into the high 90s now, what
can I do to make sure this plant produces pumpins for the fall- or do
you think it will make it that long? How or when should I prune it? I
read that letting it get too large discourages insects from helping
pollinate the flowers. Should I plant some lantana, or other
insect-attracting plant next to it? Right now, there are just three
dying gardenia plants (that's another post, entirely) near the pumpkin.
Any advice would be great.