Old 25-05-2006, 02:53 PM posted to austin.gardening
austinartistdotnet

Default Pumpkin

Last year, the kids carved the Halloween pumpkin on the porch and we
washed the seeds into the front garden. Now we have a huge pumpkin vine
growing. There are about a dozen large leaves and probably five or six
flower buds. Since temperatures are getting into the high 90s now, what
can I do to make sure this plant produces pumpins for the fall- or do
you think it will make it that long? How or when should I prune it? I
read that letting it get too large discourages insects from helping
pollinate the flowers. Should I plant some lantana, or other
insect-attracting plant next to it? Right now, there are just three
dying gardenia plants (that's another post, entirely) near the pumpkin.
Any advice would be great.

Old 25-05-2006, 03:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com,
"austinartistdotnet" wrote:

Last year, the kids carved the Halloween pumpkin on the porch and we
washed the seeds into the front garden. Now we have a huge pumpkin vine
growing. There are about a dozen large leaves and probably five or six
flower buds. Since temperatures are getting into the high 90s now, what
can I do to make sure this plant produces pumpins for the fall- or do
you think it will make it that long? How or when should I prune it? I
read that letting it get too large discourages insects from helping
pollinate the flowers. Should I plant some lantana, or other
insect-attracting plant next to it? Right now, there are just three
dying gardenia plants (that's another post, entirely) near the pumpkin.
Any advice would be great.

Whenever I had that happen, I just let them do their thing. :-)
I never pruned and ended up with several pumpkins per year. If you are
worried about pollination, take some pollen from the male blooms and
pollinate the female blooms by hand. It can increase your yield.

And a neat thing that mom taught me, baby pumpkin, still green and soft
like a large squash is _delicious_ steamed or prepared like a regular
summer squash. ;-d

I've had too much trouble with squash borer moths to have much luck with
either squash or pumpkins for awhile tho'. sigh I envy you.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 26-05-2006, 12:15 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article . com,
"austinartistdotnet" wrote:

[...]

Okay, I'll bite. How do you tell the difference between male and female
blooms?
--
Jonny

Old 26-05-2006, 12:52 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jonny wrote:
Okay, I'll bite. How do you tell the difference between male and female
blooms?

Male flowers have stamens and female flowers have stigma. Just like boys
and girls.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

What if all the flowers are all "boys" or "girls"? Case in point, my tomato
blooms seem to all have center projections inside their blooms.
--
Jonny

Old 26-05-2006, 01:44 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Jonny wrote:
Okay, I'll bite. How do you tell the difference between male and female
blooms?

Male flowers have stamens and female flowers have stigma. Just like boys
and girls.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

What if all the flowers are all "boys" or "girls"? Case in point, my tomato
blooms seem to all have center projections inside their blooms.

You can look up dicots and monocots for a good explanation. Also on
female flowers in the squash family will be a swelling where the fruit
will develop and male flowers are on longer stems with no swelling at
the flower.

Old 26-05-2006, 03:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

"austinartistdotnet" wrote:

[...]

A male flower will have a circle of "stamens" covered in pollen grains.
The female or fruit bearing flower has two features. Pistils only with a
sticky coating on the tip or tips to catch pollen, and a swelling at the
base of the flower where it joins the stem that looks like an itty bitty
pumpkin (or squash/melon in the case of squash or melon flowers).

If you have excess male blooms, they are excellent picked and stuffed
with a mix of rice, eggs, sausage and various spices, tied shut and
fried. ;-d.

Google for "stuffed squash blossoms" recipes.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 27-05-2006, 11:23 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Jonny wrote:
What if all the flowers are all "boys" or "girls"? Case in point, my
tomato blooms seem to all have center projections inside their blooms.

Tomato flowers have both male and female parts in them, so all flowers
look the same.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Yes, I know. Along with many other flowering plants including pumpkins.
Just waiting for the other guy to owe up. Apparently, not going to happen.
--
Jonny

identifying new pumpkin was re; pumpkin curry soup meee Australia 1 28-11-2005 03:14 AM
Not Yahho, Pumpkin Fertilisation & Bugs on Horehound., was A Terry Collins Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
taming a pumpkin plant Tom Elliott Australia 2 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
More pumpkin advice Luke Australia 2 08-03-2003 07:45 AM
Pumpkin Advice Luke Australia 3 22-02-2003 09:34 PM