Old 26-05-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mike in NC

Default Odd Dogwood Problem

John,

Around here, many dogwoods have been lost to anthracnose. The
stressors seem to be excess sunlight (from cutting down the
taller trees), occasional salt spray (from hurricanes), and
excess wind (our usual condition, but exaggerated by loss of
the larger trees), and summer drought. Borers help twist the
knife, but I suspect that because the trees are weaked by
other factors, the borers have a much easier time.

Mike

John A. Keslick, Jr. wrote:

The thing is, anthracnose has been around for a zillion years. Some factor
or factors place the tree or trees in a predisposition and the anthracnose
comes out.
See Armillaria Root Rots, Predisposition and Poor Sorauer
on the topic of predisposition.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html.
I believe one of those factors is exposure to greater amounts of sunlight.
Yes, people say we have anthracnose in the woods. Then we ask them, did
they cut the over story trees. People tend to plant them in full sun
because they appear to flower more in the sunlight. Just a few thoughts.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.
There is no solution for Anthracnose.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Mike
On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)