Old 16-05-2006, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Odd Dogwood Problem

I recently purchased a new home that is surrounded by dogwoods - some
of the trees look great, but the rest have light green leaves with
dark-ish spots on them (which from what I've seen online could be a
fungal issue?)...but the odd thing is that the trees with this problem
don't have any foliage from the middle of the tree to the top - just
completely bare branches. I'm seeing plenty of information about the
spotting on the leaves, but are these bare branches caused by the same
types of fungal problems? Any advice on where to look for a solution
as it seems this is a serious problem? (one of the dogwoods died before
I bought the house) Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

- Adam

Old 16-05-2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
ps.com...
I recently purchased a new home that is surrounded by dogwoods - some
of the trees look great, but the rest have light green leaves with
dark-ish spots on them (which from what I've seen online could be a
fungal issue?)...but the odd thing is that the trees with this problem
don't have any foliage from the middle of the tree to the top - just
completely bare branches. I'm seeing plenty of information about the
spotting on the leaves, but are these bare branches caused by the same
types of fungal problems? Any advice on where to look for a solution
as it seems this is a serious problem? (one of the dogwoods died before
I bought the house) Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

- Adam

Where do you live?

Old 17-05-2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Cornus florida dogwoods do not like full sun for starters. Improper pruning
and care may well have caused your problem.

Here is some links you might enjoy.

KESLICK AND SON MODERN ARBORICULTURE
My resume is at http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/educat.html
Here are some links you may consider adding to your site. They are case
sensitive.

1. Techno Tree Biology Dictionary
http://www.treedictionary.com . Look up "logging".

2. Articles written by DR. ALEX L. SHIGO, one of the foremost authorities
worldwide on tree systems today online at
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html

3. Literature Available by Dr. Shigo is he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/treeinfo.html

4. Hard to get Documents
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...get/index.html

If you have any suggestions please let me know. 610-864-5251

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Tree Biologist
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
that we are not the boss.
ps.com...

Old 17-05-2006, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Knoxville, TN

Old 17-05-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

For Dogwood Anthracnose, it sounds similar except it's the top of the
tree that is looking dead (or is dead) and the bottom still has leaves
- which sounds like the opposite according to the link there. I'll
inspect the trees more closely to see if I can notice anything wrong on
the branches or trunk though because I don't remember seeing anything,
but I wasn't looking at those areas as much as the leaves.

Old 17-05-2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
oups.com...
Knoxville, TN

Most state cooperative exensions services offer free advice to homeowners
with garden problems. Tennessee's doesn't specifically mention this service
on their site, but that might be an omission. Try contacting someone on this
page:
http://www.tnstate.edu/cep/staff.htm

Although it's possible for people online to offer general advice, some of
which may end up being accurate, it's also a good idea to get local
information. Some plant diseases can be region-specific due, for instance,
to local weather patterns that cause a worse outbreak than usual.

Old 17-05-2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

wrote in message
ups.com...
For Dogwood Anthracnose, it sounds similar except it's the top of the
tree that is looking dead (or is dead) and the bottom still has leaves
- which sounds like the opposite according to the link there. I'll
inspect the trees more closely to see if I can notice anything wrong on
the branches or trunk though because I don't remember seeing anything,
but I wasn't looking at those areas as much as the leaves.

Keep in mind that this type of disease can be much worse in some years than
in others. In 1982, my dogwood looked hideous. Knowing little about it, we
brought in a tree "expert", who sold my wife on the idea of having these
little vials stuck into the tree, like hypodermic needles. Without this
expensive treatment, he assured us the tree would be dead within a year or
two. The next year, the tree looked bad, but no worse than the previous
year. Then, it looked perfect for a number of years. It's had a few off
years, but it's still alive today. The best advice we found over the years,
for *any* fungal tree problem, is to rake up diseased leaves and discard
them, rather than leave them lying around as mulch.

The previous owners of the house planted it in the wrong place, two feet
from a blacktop driveway. Dogwoods are NOT happy living near what is
essentially a hot pancake griddle. This doesn't cause disease, but it does
not make for a tree that's as healthy as it can be, and able to fight off
disease.

Old 17-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks a ton for all the advice everyone! I'll see if I can find
someone local to get some more detail too. Thanks again

Old 18-05-2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote in message
ps.com
[...]

There is no solution for Anthracnose.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 18-05-2006, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

"Travis M." wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com
I recently purchased a new home that is surrounded by dogwoods -
some of the trees look great, but the rest have light green leaves
with dark-ish spots on them (which from what I've seen online could
be a fungal issue?)...but the odd thing is that the trees with this
problem don't have any foliage from the middle of the tree to the
top - just completely bare branches. I'm seeing plenty of
information about the spotting on the leaves, but are these bare
branches caused by the same types of fungal problems? Any advice
on where to look for a solution as it seems this is a serious
problem? (one of the dogwoods died before I bought the house)
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

- Adam

There is no solution for Anthracnose.

Amazing, isn't it? This is what makes gardening interesting. A creature that
requires a microscope to identify can mess with us and our pet plants any
time it wants, and there's not a damned thing we can do about it. We should
be impressed and humbled.

Old 19-05-2006, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
John A. Keslick, Jr.

The thing is, anthracnose has been around for a zillion years. Some factor
or factors place the tree or trees in a predisposition and the anthracnose
comes out.
See Armillaria Root Rots, Predisposition and Poor Sorauer
on the topic of predisposition.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/index.html.
I believe one of those factors is exposure to greater amounts of sunlight.
Yes, people say we have anthracnose in the woods. Then we ask them, did
they cut the over story trees. People tend to plant them in full sun
because they appear to flower more in the sunlight. Just a few thoughts.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 26-05-2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mike in NC

John,

Around here, many dogwoods have been lost to anthracnose. The
stressors seem to be excess sunlight (from cutting down the
taller trees), occasional salt spray (from hurricanes), and
excess wind (our usual condition, but exaggerated by loss of
the larger trees), and summer drought. Borers help twist the
knife, but I suspect that because the trees are weaked by
other factors, the borers have a much easier time.

Mike

John A. Keslick, Jr. wrote:

[...]

On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)