Old 27-05-2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ralph D.

Default How does one eliminate Moles?

"Bette" wrote in message
oups.com...
tenplay wrote:
Bette wrote:
We eliminated the grubs and thought the moles moved on. But we can see
they are still leaving a trail on our lawn.
Help.
Bette

Check out this website on mole solutions:
http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/lawn001/lawn001.htm

Unfortunately none of the suggested solutions are effective.

This morning my husband informed me, when we lived at our other house
in New Jersey, we had a front yard destroyed by moles. Our neighbor
found the solution. He gassed them with propane.
Hubby as well found that same solution to be helpful.
We are going to try it this weekend. I have no pity on those ugly
little creatures.

Bette

Hi, Bette.

I'm from a bit further West in PA than you are, and don't know if the
infestation issues the area was having are as far as you, but...

It got bad here and none of the suggestions that many of these folks or
links offered worked. I don't think many of them really understood just how
many of these things there were... it wasn't like a dozen or two, LOL!

The local agents started with all of the PC suggestions but finally started
recommending we go to Tractor Supply Co (TSC) and get a product called Mole
Patrol and poison them. I understand that some folks are sensitive to that
concept, but there comes a point when an area is so over-run that you just
have to take drastic measures. One poster here even likened it to using
ricin, but one can't let it go on when it gets to the point it was getting
to here. When they reach infestation levels in an agricultural setting all
the little tricks used to for yuppie suburban lots just don't cut it.

Many folks here used this stuff and found it effective, although you have to
persist with it for a while. Use it when it is not to rain for a day give or
take a few hours as rain doesn't get along with it too well. Put it at the
holes you see and gently move a few spots of topsoil or lawn away from
tunnels and drop a few pellets in and gently replace the soil being careful
not to compact it on too much.

Mole Patrol comes with a spoon, but it's really not necessary to put that
large of doses out at once, eight or nine pellets at a time seem to be
plenty. From your IP you appear to be in an agricultural area and if you are
truly rural and not in a neighborhood there you may be SOL in the big
picture if the neighboring properties are not being aggressive, too (if, of
course, this infestation moved that far east). Small plans in the middle of
farmland are particularly vulnerable, but if you get neighbors who are
having trouble to join in some amount of control might happen.

Get to your TSC and get some before it sells out. It came into such demand
here last year that they couldn't keep it on the shelves. It's not the ideal
solution, but it's very effective at killing the little *******s.

Good luck.