Old 27-05-2006, 03:28 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default Missing snail pellets

"Jonno" wrote in message
u...
loosecanon wrote:
Hi all,

Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the

next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Cheers

Richard

lOOK AROUND FOR DEAD BIRDS DOGS OR SNAILS
Er Capslock Hate that button!!!!
Put them where only snails can get em. If you want them to die happy
put a saucer of beer down (only works if the better/worse half isnt an
alcoholic) Cover it so water cant get in and snails can...
PS Snails are very good at undercover work so may have sneaked the
pellets away, and blown them up somewhere.

I had this happen before. Some hippeastrums were coming into flower so I put
some snail pellets in the pots. Only to find the pots had no snail pellets
in the next day. Was no signs of snails to be seen. I just put bigger and
bigger amounts of snail pellets in and all the time they disappeared.

I knew then I had a rat and put a sachet of "single feed instant sort of
kill after a drink that is" poison out. This disappeared also. Then put out
some snail pellets again which were not touched. So I figured I got him.

I cordone off the garden so my dog doesn't get at the pellets which would
surely see him at the vet. Birds don't eat green pellets either.

If anyone else is having the problem of disappearing snail pellets and want
to see the trap baited with snail pellets and dead rat I'd be happy to pass
it on. Less rats in the world is a good thing.

Cheers

Richard