Old 17-03-2003, 02:32 AM
MD

Default Question Schomborgkia Tibicinis?

This plant has 12 tubes/bulbs and 2 stalks that are a few inches in length
each. I paid $55 for mine and that was from a guy I used to think liked me.
I bought it from the most expensive seller here in no-county san diego but,
like you, I saw it and had to have it. This place is really expensive but
has great plants...used to belong to someone else who was not cheap but not
as costly as these new guys. Still, they have great plants. This plant is
currently in a 10" pot with very small media about 2" deep...the rest is
foam. I want to slab it but am afraid it will mess up the flowering...any
suggestions?

Thanks for the info.

MD

From: "Gene Schurg"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.orchids
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:22:10 GMT
Subject: Question Schomborgkia Tibicinis?

MD,

I have one of these I bought when Kensington Orchids was going out of biz
last fall. It's mounted on a tree fern slab and I plan to hang it in a
crepe myrtle tree when the weather gets warm.

I water it regularly (it drys out quickly). From what I see the old canes
(I guess you could call them that) have bloomed and I don't have an ant in
sight.

I saw one in bloom in Atlanta last spring and had to have it. The one in
Atlanta was growing in a Vanda basket that they sat on the floor for the
display. It was awesome with 7 foot long flower stems. I can imagine that
when the flowers fade they hang it back up in the greenhouse and let it
thrive.

The plants I've seen always look like they are on the edge of death. Light
green kind of dehydraded older bulbs. The new growth on mine looks good.

How large was the plant you purchased? I think I paid $25 for large slab
that I may divide in half this summer if the other side throws out a sprout.

Good growing,
Gene