Old 16-03-2003, 04:20 PM
MD

Default Question Schomborgkia Tibicinis?

Does anyone have any experience with this Mexican Species orchid? I picked
one up from a grower yesterday here in san diego...the parent plant was
insane with two 6-7 foot spikes and some unreal flowers I have never seen
the shape of before. I also spent (what I consider to be) a lot of money
for it. It has two spikes about to go off.

Has anyone grown this plant before and do you have any recommendations.

TIA

MD

Old 16-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Elpaninaro

Does anyone have any experience with this Mexican Species orchid? I picked
one up from a grower yesterday here in san diego...the parent plant was
insane with two 6-7 foot spikes and some unreal flowers I have never seen
the shape of before. I also spent (what I consider to be) a lot of money
for it. It has two spikes about to go off.

Has anyone grown this plant before and do you have any recommendations.

Ah fond memories. When I was in high school living at home (and thus having a
backyard for a homemade greenhouse) I had some of this and also Schomb.
exaltata. Wonderful plants and yes the bloom spikes get enormous! Some tips,

1. These really like to be mounted in my experience. You can grow them in pot
if you must, but use a very well aerated medium- perhaps a mix of large chunks
of bark and charcoal. In basket would be even better if mounted is not an
option.

2. These like to dry out between waterings. Not an issue if they are mounted,
but if potted, be sure to let them dry out well before watering again- on your
Cattleya schedule.

3. Schomburgkia's attract ants. Best to leave them be. I forget what it is, but
there is actually a beneficial relationship there. The ants kept me from taking
my plants to shows, but the plants thrived for it. (Besides, its not like I was
going to drag a plant with an 8 foot spike to a show anyway LOL.)

4. Remember these are Mexican species. They love heat and can take very strong
sun- on the order of strap leaf vandas. In the summer in Houston, mine would
sometimes get over 100 degrees and it never phased them. They are pretty cold
tolerant as well, but in general you need not worry about them getting too hot
while making sure they do not get very cold. I think keeping them above 50 is
best, although they can take the occasional drop below that point and live to
tell the tale.

5. To gauge your success, keep an eye on the new growths. If the new growths
have leaf sizes, psuedobulb height and diameters in line with previous growths,
you are doing fine. If any of those factors is lacking, light is the likely
culprit in my experience since they need a lot of it.

6. As with other things, good air circulation is a must- especially to help
ensure these dry out between waterings.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Tom.
Old 16-03-2003, 06:08 PM
MD

awesome thanks!

MD

Old 16-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Gene Schurg

MD,

I have one of these I bought when Kensington Orchids was going out of biz
last fall. It's mounted on a tree fern slab and I plan to hang it in a
crepe myrtle tree when the weather gets warm.

I water it regularly (it drys out quickly). From what I see the old canes
(I guess you could call them that) have bloomed and I don't have an ant in
sight.

I saw one in bloom in Atlanta last spring and had to have it. The one in
Atlanta was growing in a Vanda basket that they sat on the floor for the
display. It was awesome with 7 foot long flower stems. I can imagine that
when the flowers fade they hang it back up in the greenhouse and let it
thrive.

The plants I've seen always look like they are on the edge of death. Light
green kind of dehydraded older bulbs. The new growth on mine looks good.

How large was the plant you purchased? I think I paid $25 for large slab
that I may divide in half this summer if the other side throws out a sprout.

Good growing,
Gene

Old 17-03-2003, 02:32 AM
MD

This plant has 12 tubes/bulbs and 2 stalks that are a few inches in length
each. I paid $55 for mine and that was from a guy I used to think liked me.
I bought it from the most expensive seller here in no-county san diego but,
like you, I saw it and had to have it. This place is really expensive but
has great plants...used to belong to someone else who was not cheap but not
as costly as these new guys. Still, they have great plants. This plant is
currently in a 10" pot with very small media about 2" deep...the rest is
foam. I want to slab it but am afraid it will mess up the flowering...any
suggestions?

Thanks for the info.

MD

Old 17-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Elpaninaro

This plant has 12 tubes/bulbs and 2 stalks that are a few inches in length
each. I paid $55 for mine and that was from a guy I used to think liked me.
I bought it from the most expensive seller here in no-county san diego but,
like you, I saw it and had to have it. This place is really expensive but
has great plants...used to belong to someone else who was not cheap but not
as costly as these new guys. Still, they have great plants. This plant is
currently in a 10" pot with very small media about 2" deep...the rest is
foam. I want to slab it but am afraid it will mess up the flowering...any
suggestions?

Hi MD,

$55 is not too bad for a plant of that size. Despite how common these plants
are in the wild, they are not always easy to find from vendors- especially in
this size. I think the sheer size of the plants probably scares many
prospective buyers LOL.

As for slabbing, I think you can wait until after flowering if you like- and I
would definitely advise you wait. The vendor obviously knows his stuff and has
potted it appropriately. You could probably keep it like that with no worries.

Take care,

Tom.

Old 17-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Vespaman

wow just looked at pics of this and now

I WANT ONE BAD

any one got any for sale?

Old 17-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Dana

"Vespaman" wrote in
gy.com:

wow just looked at pics of this and now

I WANT ONE BAD

I second that. Since I live in Texas I have been investigating the Mexican
species to grow outside....this one just went the the top of my wish list!

--
Dana
Old 17-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Kenni Judd

Hi, all: I've had this in my personal collection for several years, and
agree with the previously-posted culture advice [except to tell you they can
actually take not just strap-leaf, but terete vanda light (full sun)]. In
the wilds of Belize, I've seen them growing on palm trees on the beach,
sometimes literally hanging out over the waves, and on other trees at the
edges of river banks where they get full sun much of the day. At this light
level, they get very yellow, but it helps keep the spike size down to 6-8';
grown shadier, we've had spikes reach 14'. I mounted one for a client in an
affluent gated community; I put it on a palm tree by his front door, and
when it bloomed he couldn't park in his garage for a month G.

For the gentleman who just acquired one: yes, let it bloom before you slab
it. It would be a shame to blast the spikes you have started by disturbing
all the roots. But don't hold your breath waiting for the flowers, those
spikes have a lot of growing to do yet! And yes, you may well be able to
leave it as-potted indefinitely, given your description.

For those of you wanting one: We have a very limited quantity available for
sale: a few "young" plants, 4 years out of flask and still at least 2,
probably 3, years away from blooming, at $35 postpaid [recently mounted out
of their 4" seedling pots]; and a _very_ few mature plants, established on
mounts, 10+ growths, starting at $50 plus actual shipping charges [Priority
Mail]. If you are seriously interested in one of the big plants, drop us a
line; we can e-mail you a picture of the available choices. We weighed the
one with 13 pbs and it came to 2 lbs. [figure 3 after wrapping and boxing],
for purposes of estimating your shipping cost.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 18-03-2003, 06:08 AM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 15:52:58 -0500, "Kenni Judd"
(Kenni Judd) wrote in Message ID
:

For those of you wanting one: We have a very limited quantity available for
sale: a few "young" plants, 4 years out of flask and still at least 2,
probably 3, years away from blooming, at $35 postpaid [recently mounted out
of their 4" seedling pots]; and a _very_ few mature plants, established on
mounts, 10+ growths, starting at $50 plus actual shipping charges [Priority
Mail]. If you are seriously interested in one of the big plants, drop us a
line; we can e-mail you a picture of the available choices. We weighed the
one with 13 pbs and it came to 2 lbs. [figure 3 after wrapping and boxing],
for purposes of estimating your shipping cost.

Will you be attending the Santa Barbara Orchid Fair on the 28th?

Old 19-03-2003, 03:44 AM
MD

I appreciate all the info. It's a nice plant. Since it is potted and the
mother plant was also potted...actually in a slotted container, think I
will go that route when I do repot it. It has a lot of growing room in the
current plastic pot. The thing that worries me is that it may get top heavy
and there is no weight at the base. Maybe I'll find something ceramic to
put the plastic pot in.

MD

Old 19-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Gene Schurg

MD,

Since I can't see your plant I don't know if this would work.

Could you wire the plant and pot to a mount and then hang the whole thing
outside for the summer. The would give it the airmovement and you wouldn't
have to worry about the pot sitting in a puddle of water. If you orient it
correctly perhaps you could "train" the plant to grow onto the mount over
time and then remove the pot someday.

Good Growing,
Gene

P. S. I'm off to "train" my plants.....They have the "play dead" command
down good but they don't "fetch" worth a darn.

Old 20-03-2003, 12:32 AM
MD

I'm gonna try and slab it in some way later this spring or summer. The
spikes are starting to go off and it looks as if 2-3 of the other bulbs have
spikes forming at their tops so...for now it's status quo. I'll let you
know what I end up doing. It's a nice plant I'm stoked to have it.

MD

Old 20-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Kenni Judd

I replied to Larry privately, but in case anyone else is wondering -- no, we
won't be in California any time soon. This year, we'll be making our
furthest venture ever, to St. Augustine, and I'm wondering if we're crazy to
do that!

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids