Old 29-05-2006, 05:00 AM posted to austin.gardening
Linda

Default poor plant growth...San Antonio

Planted several things in MiracleGro potting soil. My sunflowers got a
whopping 18". My indian corn got maybe 24". My squash got 10". My
Four O'Clocks are about 8 or 10". Bought a start of Sea Holly - it's
about 5". Most had a sickly pale green/yellowish color. What is going
on? In Oregon I just planted those things in the sandy soil, never
fertilized, just watered. The sunflowers were 6 or 7 feet tall, the
indian corn got about the same, my Four O'Clocks were about 3' and
bushy....well, you get the idea. Why is nothing growing well here? Is
there something I should have been doing? Oh, and the poor tomato
plant...too sad to tell! I thought the store-bought potting soil would
be the right thing to use. Advice?