Old 29-05-2006, 02:03 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default Missing snail pellets

"MK" wrote in message

..au...
"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
"loosecanon" writes:
Has anybody else been putting out snail pellets only to check them the
next
day and have no pellets and no dead snails?

Once, after experiencing a similar thing for 5 or 6 consecutive days, I
happened to be standing at the window around midmorning puzzling over

the
disappearing bait when I saw a rat emerge and bound about collecting it
all! So now each season before I can begin putting out snail bait I have
to first set rat bait!

We had a deaf white cat that died from eating snail pellets. No sooner
would you put them on the garden and it would follow around eating them!
This was in the mid-70s, so maybe they've changed the mixture since then?
Any cats acting strange around your garden lately?

MK

Now I would love it if the cats that came into my place would take rats and
not leave there calling cards. But they don't so if I get the opportunity
they'll wear a fencing staple out of my ging! I firmly believe they should
all be desexed and in cat runs on there owners properties! Also they should
be registered with councils, like dogs are, and cop the same penalties if
found wandering.

Rats spread disease among them toxoplasmosis which is spread by fleas. Most
people that pick it up, get it off their cat. I also wonder how many
pregnant women out there appreciate cat poo in their garden?

Most snail pellets these days have bitterns included which is a part of sea
salt. This is supposed to make snail pellets unattractive to eat to pets. So
perhaps the recipe has change since the 70's! But maybe won't help those
pets that are guts!

Sorry to the cat lovers but I like my garden. I prepare my soil before
planting anything and having someone's moggy having a scratch and poop
peeves me!

The sugar snap peas are in the Italian beans likewise. Preparing for
cauliflower and broccoli.

Snapdragon seedlings are up and will be in the ground in 3 weeks. Stock
seeds have just been sown in 50mm pots.

So hopefully a colourful late winter early spring. While chomping on sugar
snap peas!yum.

Cheers

Richard