Old 17-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Phisherman

Default Fireplace Ash

On 17 Mar 2003 01:55:10 GMT, (SAS567) wrote:

I add my ashes to the compost bin. I try to avoid putting too much directly
in
the garden because it makes the soil alkaline.

I have put my fireplace ashes in my veggie gardens for 12 yrs. now and they
both just keep getting better every year. I only burn hardwoods in my
fireplace.
Sue in Mi.

Actually any wood (except for pressure-treated and briquettes) ash is
a good soil amendment. I grew up with a basement incinerator where
we burned paper, cardboard, wood scraps, etc. The ashes were usually
spread along the backyard hedge. It was also used on roses, Oregon
grape root, rose of sharon, evergreens, etc. The hedge grew
exceptionally well and bloomed throughout the summer months.