Old 16-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Kevin & Kim

Default Fireplace Ash

Can anybody tell me a good way to dispose of my fireplace ash. I was told
not to put it in the compost bin or garden. Is this true? Can I just
spread it on my lawn?

Thanks for the help!

Old 16-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 00:05:09 GMT, "Kevin & Kim"
wrote:

Can anybody tell me a good way to dispose of my fireplace ash. I was told
not to put it in the compost bin or garden. Is this true? Can I just
spread it on my lawn?

Thanks for the help!

You can use your fireplace ashes to

ward off slugs/snails
provide garden soil with potash
make soil less acid

Spread your fireplace ashes (about 5 to 10 lbs per 100 sq feet) one
week before you plant and work into the soil. You can spread it over
your lawn too. You can add ashes to your compost pile. Briquettes
from a Bar-B-Q should not be used for gardening nor compost.
Old 16-03-2003, 12:32 PM
it's me

wrote:

Can anybody tell me a good way to dispose of my fireplace ash. I was told
not to put it in the compost bin or garden. Is this true? Can I just
spread it on my lawn?

Thanks for the help!

It's mostly decomposed and the Lye in the ash will work agianst you in
the pile.

You can use your fireplace ashes to

ward off slugs/snails
provide garden soil with potash
make soil less acid

Spread on roof to help remove "Ice Dams" (insure it's cooled)

Spread your fireplace ashes (about 5 to 10 lbs per 100 sq feet) one
week before you plant and work into the soil. You can spread it over
your lawn too. You can add ashes to your compost pile. Briquettes
from a Bar-B-Q should not be used for gardening nor compost.

Kevin

Old 16-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Alice Gamewell

I add my ashes to the compost bin. I try to avoid putting too much directly in
the garden because it makes the soil alkaline. If your soil is alkaline,
avoid it totally. What you do need to avoid is charcoal ashes. Those contain
toxic chemicals that you want to avoid. Use only wood ashes.
Alice

Old 17-03-2003, 02:08 AM
SAS567

I add my ashes to the compost bin. I try to avoid putting too much directly
in
the garden because it makes the soil alkaline.

I have put my fireplace ashes in my veggie gardens for 12 yrs. now and they
both just keep getting better every year. I only burn hardwoods in my
fireplace.
Sue in Mi.

Old 17-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Compostman

I put some in my compost piles towards the end of the active composting
(hot) phase. I also put some directly around plants that I think don't like
my naturally acid soils. The lilacs seem to really like it.

--
Compostman
Washington, DC

Old 17-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Alice Gamewell

This is because your garden may need the alkaline ashes to produce better. Not
all do. Especially very alkaline soils. That is why if you do not know the pH
of your garden it is better to put the ashes in the compost than in the garden.
Compost is close to a neutral pH when finished. The ash in the compost adds
nutrients, namely potassium. So you need the ash in your garden. The person
who started this post may not.
So we need to be careful of the advice we give other people.

SAS567 wrote:

I add my ashes to the compost bin. I try to avoid putting too much directly
in
the garden because it makes the soil alkaline.

I have put my fireplace ashes in my veggie gardens for 12 yrs. now and they
both just keep getting better every year. I only burn hardwoods in my
fireplace.
Sue in Mi.

[IMG] code is On

fireplace ash peta Gardening 7 28-02-2006 04:09 PM
Which came first, the Green Ash or the White Ash species Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 21 26-10-2004 04:48 AM
grafting white-ash onto green-ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 4 28-06-2004 07:38 AM
telling apart green ash from white ash Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 6 04-05-2004 10:07 PM
OT ... Burning Wood - Open Fireplace [email protected] Australia 4 05-06-2003 09:08 AM