Old 29-05-2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Where To Find "Mini Pearl" Currant Tomato?

On Sun, 28 May 2006 18:06:17 -0400, John wrote:

I have searched high and low and no one seems to have these anymore.
They are (were) the best currant tomato I ever grew - tasty and disease
resistant. The heirloom currants from Mexico that I tried last year
succumbed early to pestilences that don't even touch my Brandywines.

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/trop-kl.html

You might contact these folks. Their description is a bit vague, but
it might be what you're looking for.

I would even be tempted to try to hybridize it myself if someone could
tell me what its parents are.

Alternative cultivar suggestions are welcome but please recommend
something that is a currant (teeny weeny, pea-sized) tomato and
moderately disease resistant. The "Supersweet 100's" and "Sweet
Millions" just don't cut it for me, size- and taste-wise.

I love currant tomatoes, too. The biggest problem I have with them is
that they never make it into the house, I eat them as I walk around
the yard.

http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1230(OG)

I'm growing these this year, so I can't tell you how hardy they are,
yet. You don't say what your location is, or what diseases you had
problems with, but that might help people here point you towards a
variety that does well in your area.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"