Old 29-05-2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John

Default Where To Find "Mini Pearl" Currant Tomato?

Thanks, Penelope. Let me know how your "Sweet Pea" turns out.

I'm in Zone 5 an hour north of NYC. I have just set two "Tess' Land Race
Currant" in the ground yesterday that I raised from seed purchased from
Fedco. While hardening off on the front porch four of their companions
caught some sort of leaf spot (just from breathing the air, apparently)
so I've got my fingers crossed for the other two. As usual, all my other
varieties (Brandywine, Carmello and Better Boy) are in perfect health.
It's just the currants that seem so tender. Never had any trouble with
the "Mini Pearl" either.

I have put the name of the blight that whacked my Mexican currants last
year out of my mind, but it was the kind that basically strangled the
plants -- numerous cycles of wilt/recover in otherwise carefully tended
ground that resulted in a slow bottom-to-top death of the plant. The few
tomatoes that I did get before yanking and discarding them tasted nice,
though.

J.