Old 30-05-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Cherry blossom tree

alan wrote:
Thanks mike
The leaves are not fully developed, wrong colour,very little blossom
and poor condition. Its only my tree thats affected my neighbours tree
is fine.
the bark that is affected is up and down the tree approx 2 foot off the
ground 6 inches wide and 2 foot long but i fear the worst and i think
the big saw treatment is all thats left.
Alan

I'm afraid you're right: the plum family are vulnerable to disease
through broken skin. That width of bark removed from a fair-sized trunk
wouldn't actually kill all trees, but would weaken the growth of most.
Best to hold the saw back till you're sure it's a goner, though. I'd be
wary of replacing it with another of the same family: flowering crab
apples are at least as pretty for my money -- malus floribunda is
great, having masses of deep pink buds opening to classic apple
blossom.

--
Mike.