Old 29-05-2006, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan

Default Cherry blossom tree

My 12 foot cherry blossom tree has failed to blossom this year. Nearly
all the leaves looked most perculiar but unfortunately i'm no gardener.
The bark looks as though its been got at.
I think the tree has died.
Has anybody got any ideas or advice please?

Old 29-05-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

alan wrote:
My 12 foot cherry blossom tree has failed to blossom this year. Nearly
all the leaves looked most perculiar but unfortunately i'm no gardener.
The bark looks as though its been got at.
I think the tree has died.
Has anybody got any ideas or advice please?

Has the bark been removed right round the trunk? If that happens at the
"right" moment, you can get leaves before the tree dies.

In what way do the leaves look peculiar? Curled up? Dry? Not fully
developed? Wrong colour? Has anything like it happened to neighbours'
trees, or others of your own? If so, are they all cherries, or other
species too?

--
Mike.

Old 29-05-2006, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan

Thanks mike
The leaves are not fully developed, wrong colour,very little blossom
and poor condition. Its only my tree thats affected my neighbours tree
is fine.
the bark that is affected is up and down the tree approx 2 foot off the
ground 6 inches wide and 2 foot long but i fear the worst and i think
the big saw treatment is all thats left.
Alan

Old 30-05-2006, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

alan wrote:
Thanks mike
The leaves are not fully developed, wrong colour,very little blossom
and poor condition. Its only my tree thats affected my neighbours tree
is fine.
the bark that is affected is up and down the tree approx 2 foot off the
ground 6 inches wide and 2 foot long but i fear the worst and i think
the big saw treatment is all thats left.
Alan

I'm afraid you're right: the plum family are vulnerable to disease
through broken skin. That width of bark removed from a fair-sized trunk
wouldn't actually kill all trees, but would weaken the growth of most.
Best to hold the saw back till you're sure it's a goner, though. I'd be
wary of replacing it with another of the same family: flowering crab
apples are at least as pretty for my money -- malus floribunda is
great, having masses of deep pink buds opening to classic apple
blossom.

--
Mike.

Old 31-05-2006, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message .com, Mike
Lyle writes
alan wrote:
[...]

That looks like the answer for me too ... of all flowering things I love
blossom the most, but one of our cherries has died and the other three
look poorly...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 03-06-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan

Hi Mike
I will take your advice and play it by ear.
I thought pruning it right back might do the trick and see what happens
but im no authority on trees or should I just call it a day and get
rid and plant another type of tree.
Alan

Old 03-06-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan

Hi Klara
Im no expert but what do think of me pruning it right back and see what
happens or do you think I should call it a day and get rid and replace
with another type of tree.
Alan

Old 03-06-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

alan wrote:
Hi Mike
I will take your advice and play it by ear.
I thought pruning it right back might do the trick and see what happens
but im no authority on trees or should I just call it a day and get
rid and plant another type of tree.
Alan

I reckon it will become clear what you have to do in the next six
weeks.

--
Mike.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message .com, alan
writes

Hi Mike
I will take your advice and play it by ear.
I thought pruning it right back might do the trick and see what happens
but im no authority on trees or should I just call it a day and get
rid and plant another type of tree.
Alan

From our experience and from what everyone has to say, the bacterial
canker or whatever it is may well be terminal. On the other hand, the
one we finally lost (a 35+ year-old) did survive for some years looking
ill while in leaf but it blossomed wonderfully right up to its final
year, where it gave its all and died immediately afterwards - so your
problem may be something different. I would go with Mike's sound advice.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 04-06-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan

thankyou everybody for the time and trouble to reply
/regards
Alan