Old 31-05-2006, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

Default Cleavers

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed. Now
living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the compost

heap)
seem to be overrun with cleavers. Is there any way of eradicating them
completely - they seem to have virtually no root yet despite clearing them
each year, they still come back

Folk remedies
The plant is also a folk remedy for acute breathing disorders, bronchitis,
skin irritation and inflammation, but these curative claims are not yet
supported by science. Traditionally, the fresh juice of Cleavers was also
used to treat scurvy. Scientific studies have however also shown the herb
to have a hypotensive effect, lowering vascular pressure. Cleavers also
makes an excellent facial wash as it tightens the skin, while the fresh
leaves can be applied to skin abrasions to stop bleeding, reduce
inflammation and speed healing.

Parts used
The whole plant is used for medicinal purposes.

These damned weeds, eh ?

michael adams

That's interesting! I suspected something like this, because our old dog
is at times positively addicted to them!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin