Old 30-05-2006, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Cleavers

In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed. Now
living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the compost heap)
seem to be overrun with cleavers. Is there any way of eradicating them
completely - they seem to have virtually no root yet despite clearing them
each year, they still come back

Jeanne

Old 30-05-2006, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed. Now
living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the compost

heap)
seem to be overrun with cleavers. Is there any way of eradicating them
completely - they seem to have virtually no root yet despite clearing them
each year, they still come back

Jeanne

quote

http://medplant.nmsu.edu/galium.htm

Taxonomy:

Botanical: Galium Aparine1

Medicinal Uses: Galium aparine has vast and unique array of
medicinal uses.

Applications

Diuretic

Lymphatic alterative

Anti-inflammatory

Tonic

Astringent

Anti-neoplastic

Aperient

Swollen lymph glands (lymphadenitis)

Tonsillitis and adenoid trouble
Dry skin conditions (eg psoriasis)

Cystitis and other urinary conditions where there is pain

Ulcers

Tumours

Skin eruptions

Toxic conditions

Tissue edema

Kidney/bladder/gravel stones /calculi

Dosage

All dosages are based on one source of information and we
recommend that you seek medical expertise before

MEDIUM dose herb5

Dried Herb: 2 – 4 gm tds

Fluid Extract: 1:1 25% 2 – 4 ml tds

Tinctu 1:5 25% 4 – 10 ml tds

Non-Medicinal:

The bean shaped seeds of this plant are commonly used
as substitute for coffee.5 TheGalium aparine a cousin of the
Arabian coffee tree, has a similar beans but they lack the
caffeine therefore making a healthier and said tastier
substitute to its relative.5

/quote

quote

http://www.health24.com/natural/Herb...-676,33341.asp

What is cleavers used for?

Cleavers has numerous useful attributes. The seeds, for instance,
form one of the best substitutes for coffee when dried and slightly
roasted, while the whole plant provides a tea-like decoction and the
young sprouts are often used in salad.

From a medicinal point of view, Cleavers is said to be an excellent
lymphatic tonic, assisting in the detoxification of tissues and the
immune system. Cleavers is also used in urinary and skin ailments,
including kidney and gall bladder gravel and urinary tract infection
accompanied by fever, water retention and burning or painful urination.
Cleavers achieves these accomplishments thanks to its diuretic action,
aiding in the elimination of wastes, and enhancing the lymphatic system
by promoting lymphatic drainage of toxins and wastes to be excreted via
the urinary system.

Folk remedies
The plant is also a folk remedy for acute breathing disorders, bronchitis,
skin irritation and inflammation, but these curative claims are not yet
supported by science. Traditionally, the fresh juice of Cleavers was also
used to treat scurvy. Scientific studies have however also shown the herb
to have a hypotensive effect, lowering vascular pressure. Cleavers also
makes an excellent facial wash as it tightens the skin, while the fresh
leaves can be applied to skin abrasions to stop bleeding, reduce
inflammation and speed healing.

Parts used
The whole plant is used for medicinal purposes.

Chemical constituents

Chlorophyll
Citric acid
Starch
Flavonoids
Galitannic acid
Glycocides
Iridoid glucosides
Phenolic acids
Red dye
Rubichloric acid
Tannins

/quote

These damned weeds, eh ?

michael adams

Old 30-05-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed.

Now
living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the

compost heap)
seem to be overrun with cleavers. Is there any way of eradicating

them
completely - they seem to have virtually no root yet despite

clearing them
each year, they still come back

Now is definitely the time to tackle them. Once they have seeded, they
have sown next years problem.
They succumb readily to weed killers but if they are running through
the borders, that is probably not the ideal way for you.
As you say they have precious little root system and can be hand
pulled quite successfully. And laborious as it may be, they can be
eradicated this way. Maybe not all in one year but, like many things,
if you can get on top of the problem early, persistence does pay off.
Of course, if they are common all around you, you will always get the
sticky burrs brought into the garden by birds and animals. I am
surrounded by rural field hedging in which cleavers is rampant. Still
I manage to keep the garden clear.

--
ned

Old 31-05-2006, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed.
Now living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the
compost heap) seem to be overrun with cleavers. Is there any way of
eradicating them completely - they seem to have virtually no root yet
despite clearing them each year, they still come back

Jeanne

You might be leaving them too long before pulling them out, once they've set
seed, it's an uphill task.
Just keep dragging them out and either burning them or bagging them up and
disposing of them, don't compost them for obvious reasons!

Eventually they will give up and lose their strength (the roots I mean)

Old 31-05-2006, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

[...]

That's interesting! I suspected something like this, because our old dog
is at times positively addicted to them!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 31-05-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote:
In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed. Now
living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the compost
heap) seem to be overrun with cleavers.

--------
You might be interested to know that the Whitethroats (Sylvia communis)
in my area build their nests entirely of dried cleavers. I have yet to find
one that isn't. An excellent building material as cleavers allows the birds
to easily build and shape their nests to their requirements.

MCT

Old 31-05-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed. Now
living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the compost heap)
seem to be overrun with cleavers. Is there any way of eradicating them
completely - they seem to have virtually no root yet despite clearing them
each year, they still come back

Drifting off-topic but I was born and brought up in adjacent North
Staffordshire and this weed was always 'goose grass'. I didn't hear
'cleavers' until I moved to the East Midlands (South Leics).
Old 31-05-2006, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:10:11 +0100, Derek Turner wrote
(in article ):

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed. Now
living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the compost heap)
seem to be overrun with cleavers. Is there any way of eradicating them
completely - they seem to have virtually no root yet despite clearing them
each year, they still come back

Drifting off-topic but I was born and brought up in adjacent North
Staffordshire and this weed was always 'goose grass'. I didn't hear
'cleavers' until I moved to the East Midlands (South Leics).

I was born and brought up in Jersey and it's goose grass to me, too. But
here in Devon they seem to call it both. I read on urg once that some people
call it 'sticky willy'!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-05-2006, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner

Sacha Hubbard wrote:

I was born and brought up in Jersey and it's goose grass to me, too. But
here in Devon they seem to call it both. I read on urg once that some people
call it 'sticky willy'!

Shirley that would be Gunnera? (sorry, the Devil made me do it)
Old 31-05-2006, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

al.net...

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
[...]

Yes "sticky willy" is one name that's used around here. The name goosegrass
is also used but some people are actually referring to a grass,sometimes
mistakenly called "Yorkshire Fog", which is a different thing. There's a lot
to be said for using the Latin names but I guess there can only be one
Sticky Willy.

Old 31-05-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:00:52 +0100, Derek Turner wrote
(in article ):

Sacha Hubbard wrote:

I was born and brought up in Jersey and it's goose grass to me, too. But
here in Devon they seem to call it both. I read on urg once that some
people
call it 'sticky willy'!

Shirley that would be Gunnera? (sorry, the Devil made me do it)

I used to know a very mischievous old man who was an artist and musician and
a very keen gardener. He was also more than a tad eccentric. He used to
like to shock young ladies by inviting them to come and look at his gunnera
but you may imagine how he pronounced it!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-05-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:18:59 +0100, Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) wrote
(in article ):
snip
There's a lot
to be said for using the Latin names but I guess there can only be one
Sticky Willy.

We must hope so!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-05-2006, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Sacha Hubbard wrote:

I was born and brought up in Jersey and it's goose grass to me, too.
But
here in Devon they seem to call it both. I read on urg once that some
people
call it 'sticky willy'!

Shirley that would be Gunnera? (sorry, the Devil made me do it)

I used to know a very mischievous old man who was an artist and musician
and
a very keen gardener. He was also more than a tad eccentric. He used to
like to shock young ladies by inviting them to come and look at his
gunnera
but you may imagine how he pronounced it!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
email address on web site

I bet he also had fun with "Lysichiton camtschatcensis" :-)

Old 31-05-2006, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Sacha Hubbard wrote:

I was born and brought up in Jersey and it's goose grass to me, too. But
here in Devon they seem to call it both. I read on urg once that some
people
call it 'sticky willy'!

Shirley that would be Gunnera? (sorry, the Devil made me do it)

I used to know a very mischievous old man who was an artist and musician and
a very keen gardener. He was also more than a tad eccentric. He used to
like to shock young ladies by inviting them to come and look at his gunnera
but you may imagine how he pronounced it!

Yup. My other half wondered why I insisted on planting an STD in my
garden.
BTW, it has really enjoyed the record wet month of May we've had in
Ireland, and it looks nearly as big as it should be - I have yet to do
the digging it up and putting a pond liner under its roots thing.

Cat(h)