Old 31-05-2006, 02:59 PM
djhughes djhughes is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiri
"djhughes" wrote in message

Hello All,

I was wondering if any of you had some advice for me. I have a plum
tree which has split down the middle in a storm last week. Perhaps 60 %
of the tree is still upright. The split runs literally straight down the
middle of the trunk to the ground level. I think the problem has come
about because the previous owner of the house (or even the one before
that) left some twine around the tree and the trunk grew around it. One
side is lying on the ground but is still alive because the bark is
attached. The half which is upright is very stable.

I would like to be able to keep the upright part and am considering
cutting the braken part at ground level and painting the tree for
protection. Do you think this might work? Is the tree doomed? Can I use
bog standard paint? Any other advice?

Thanks for the help

Darren

Darren, from my experience plum trees and storms are a bad mixture. Although
I admit mine was fruiting when it got badly torn about. I reckon as long as
your stable upright 'half' is actually rather more than half it should
survive. If you feel the need to paint it use special tree wound paint, (
arbrex or similar name?) but I gather some people don't recommend it these
days. You may want to cut some more off the tree if the remains are
unbalanced - picture it to yourself with a big crop of large plums on and
decide if it would try and fall over like that! In fact don't let it have
too much fruit this year while it is recovering. If it doesn't get too many
more storms this year it may well put on a lot of growth next year - mine
did.
Good luck.
T.
Thanks for the advice. There is just over half left so hopefully it will be OK.
Darren