Old 31-05-2006, 12:31 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture,aus.science
Phred

Default "Pigeon pea". Why so named?

G'day mates,

A question arose today about pigeon pea (still _Cajanus cajan_ to
me; but the taxonomists say it's now in _Atylosia_).

It was quite a simple question: "Why is pigeon pea called pigeon
pea?" [AKA "pigeonpea".]

I have to say, I'm damned if I know why! It's been pigeon pea to me
since I first met it 40 years ago, and I've never wondered why.

According to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pigeon+pea it's simply
"From the use of its seeds as pigeon feed."

While that may well be true, it almost sounds *too* simplistic. After
all, the main use is for human food (red gram, toor dal, etc.)
especially in India.

So where and why has it become associated with bloody pigeons?
(An analogous question arises for "chickpea".)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID