Old 31-05-2006, 12:31 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture,aus.science
Phred

Default "Pigeon pea". Why so named?

G'day mates,

A question arose today about pigeon pea (still _Cajanus cajan_ to
me; but the taxonomists say it's now in _Atylosia_).

It was quite a simple question: "Why is pigeon pea called pigeon
pea?" [AKA "pigeonpea".]

I have to say, I'm damned if I know why! It's been pigeon pea to me
since I first met it 40 years ago, and I've never wondered why.

According to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pigeon+pea it's simply
"From the use of its seeds as pigeon feed."

While that may well be true, it almost sounds *too* simplistic. After
all, the main use is for human food (red gram, toor dal, etc.)
especially in India.

So where and why has it become associated with bloody pigeons?
(An analogous question arises for "chickpea".)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 02-06-2006, 01:34 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture,aus.science
Malcolm Manners

Phred wrote:
In article , Torsten Brinch wrote:

On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:31:05 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

G'day mates,

A question arose today about pigeon pea (still _Cajanus cajan_ to
me; but the taxonomists say it's now in _Atylosia_).

It was quite a simple question: "Why is pigeon pea called pigeon
pea?" [AKA "pigeonpea".]

I have to say, I'm damned if I know why! It's been pigeon pea to me
since I first met it 40 years ago, and I've never wondered why.

According to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pigeon+pea it's simply
"From the use of its seeds as pigeon feed."

While that may well be true, it almost sounds *too* simplistic. After
all, the main use is for human food (red gram, toor dal, etc.)
especially in India.

So where and why has it become associated with bloody pigeons?

I have no idea. Pass.

(An analogous question arises for "chickpea".)

'Chick-pea' comes from French 'pois chiche'. It was originally
imported into English as the singular form 'chich-pease',
but the pommie ear naturally came to hear such a construction as
a plural form, so from it was synthesised the singular form
chich-pea. In the origin the French name 'pois chiche' has nothing
to do with chicken. 'Chiche' is from Latin 'cicer', which means ...
pea :-)

Thanks for that, Torsten. I wonder if, in years to come, we could
have the progression: pea pea -- pee pee -- wee wee? ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

In central Florida, we have the Peace River, and one might think it was
named at the end of a war. However, the more likely story is that there
is a native Vicia that grows on its banks, and it was therefore
originally the Peas River.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:29 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture,aus.science
donald haarmann

"Phred" wrote in message ...
| G'day mates,
|
| A question arose today about pigeon pea (still _Cajanus cajan_ to
| me; but the taxonomists say it's now in _Atylosia_).
|
| It was quite a simple question: "Why is pigeon pea called pigeon
| pea?" [AKA "pigeonpea".]
|
| I have to say, I'm damned if I know why! It's been pigeon pea to me
| since I first met it 40 years ago, and I've never wondered why.
|
| According to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pigeon+pea it's simply
| "From the use of its seeds as pigeon feed."
|
| While that may well be true, it almost sounds *too* simplistic. After
| all, the main use is for human food (red gram, toor dal, etc.)
| especially in India.
|
| So where and why has it become associated with bloody pigeons?
| (An analogous question arises for "chickpea".)
|
| Cheers, Phred.

----------
Ye old —

Weeds and Words : The Etymology of the Scientific Names of Weeds and Crops.
Robert L Zimdahl
Iowa St. U. Press, 1989.

Cicer arietinum L. Cicer (L) chickpea.

Ok. But why did the Romans call it "chickpea"?

----
Cajanus cajan (l.) Huth Pigeon pea

Canan: (L) prop. fr. Malay kachang = bean or pea; also pigeon pea.

"The generic and specific names have the same origin, which is unique among the plants
included herein. The names are not descriptive of looks or behavior, but the do reveal
what is in the language from which the name originated. Pigeon peas are cultivated
for their edible seeds in India and other semiarid tropical areas."

Say - what 'bout the pigeon- berry. Duranta repens L.?

LH Baley
Manual of Cultivated Plants
McMillian, 1949.

--
donald j haarmann

Winthrop Mackworth Praed
The Vicar

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Pea or not a pea Marq United Kingdom 2 26-03-2010 11:24 AM
I need to know the botanical name of a palm named "Palmera Navidena" en Costa Rica calitico United Kingdom 1 16-11-2005 04:58 PM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
pigeon problem John Dolan United Kingdom 11 23-04-2003 05:10 PM