Old 31-05-2006, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Cleavers

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:10:11 +0100, Derek Turner wrote
(in article ):

Jeanne Stockdale wrote:
In our previous home in North Cheshire, we never ever saw this weed. Now
living in South Cheshire and most of our flower beds (and the compost
heap)
seem to be overrun with cleavers. Is there any way of eradicating them
completely - they seem to have virtually no root yet despite clearing
them
each year, they still come back

Drifting off-topic but I was born and brought up in adjacent North
Staffordshire and this weed was always 'goose grass'. I didn't hear
'cleavers' until I moved to the East Midlands (South Leics).

I was born and brought up in Jersey and it's goose grass to me, too. But
here in Devon they seem to call it both. I read on urg once that some
people
call it 'sticky willy'!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Yes "sticky willy" is one name that's used around here. The name goosegrass
is also used but some people are actually referring to a grass,sometimes
mistakenly called "Yorkshire Fog", which is a different thing. There's a lot
to be said for using the Latin names but I guess there can only be one
Sticky Willy.