Old 31-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Another Compost question

In article ,
"Bobby" writes:

| We have an allotment and I have launched myself into composting in quite a
| big way this year. We already have 3 compost bins but I have recently
| constructed a compost bay/box from wooden pallets which is approx 4m x 2m.
|
| I'm using the bay to contain a compost heap, which predominantly comprises
| layers of grass cuttings and cardboard with the odd bucketful of tea bags
| and peelings from the kitchen etc.
|
| Last night a couple of the older gardeners on the site advised me to
| consider removing the cardboard because it would act as a magnet to rats.
| It has always been my understanding that rats were attracted to raw meat and
| animal feed etc, not cardboard but the other blokes have had allotments on
| our site for the last 20 years so they must know what they are talking
| about. Right??

Rongg!

Cardboard will attract rats only if it is not broken up and too dry
(i.e. suitable for making nests in). Water it well, including from
your bladder, and it will be fine.

The raw meat myth is also fallacious - they are no more attracted to
it than to any other food, less so if anything.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.