Old 31-05-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

Default Another Compost question

We have an allotment and I have launched myself into composting in quite a
big way this year. We already have 3 compost bins but I have recently
constructed a compost bay/box from wooden pallets which is approx 4m x 2m.

I'm using the bay to contain a compost heap, which predominantly comprises
layers of grass cuttings and cardboard with the odd bucketful of tea bags
and peelings from the kitchen etc.

Last night a couple of the older gardeners on the site advised me to
consider removing the cardboard because it would act as a magnet to rats.
It has always been my understanding that rats were attracted to raw meat and
animal feed etc, not cardboard but the other blokes have had allotments on
our site for the last 20 years so they must know what they are talking
about. Right??

My allotment IS close to a couple of pidgeon lofts.

Any ideas welcome.

Old 31-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Bobby" writes:

| We have an allotment and I have launched myself into composting in quite a
| big way this year. We already have 3 compost bins but I have recently
| constructed a compost bay/box from wooden pallets which is approx 4m x 2m.
|
| I'm using the bay to contain a compost heap, which predominantly comprises
| layers of grass cuttings and cardboard with the odd bucketful of tea bags
| and peelings from the kitchen etc.
|
| Last night a couple of the older gardeners on the site advised me to
| consider removing the cardboard because it would act as a magnet to rats.
| It has always been my understanding that rats were attracted to raw meat and
| animal feed etc, not cardboard but the other blokes have had allotments on
| our site for the last 20 years so they must know what they are talking
| about. Right??

Rongg!

Cardboard will attract rats only if it is not broken up and too dry
(i.e. suitable for making nests in). Water it well, including from
your bladder, and it will be fine.

The raw meat myth is also fallacious - they are no more attracted to
it than to any other food, less so if anything.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bobby" writes:

| We have an allotment and I have launched myself into composting in

quite a
| big way this year. We already have 3 compost bins but I have recently
| constructed a compost bay/box from wooden pallets which is approx 4m x

2m.

| I'm using the bay to contain a compost heap, which predominantly

comprises
| layers of grass cuttings and cardboard with the odd bucketful of tea

bags
| and peelings from the kitchen etc.
|
| Last night a couple of the older gardeners on the site advised me to
| consider removing the cardboard because it would act as a magnet to

rats.
| It has always been my understanding that rats were attracted to raw

meat and
| animal feed etc, not cardboard but the other blokes have had allotments

on
| our site for the last 20 years so they must know what they are talking
| about. Right??

Rongg!

Cardboard will attract rats only if it is not broken up and too dry
(i.e. suitable for making nests in). Water it well, including from
your bladder, and it will be fine.

you are meaning making nests in the cardboard in the compost heap Nick? If
so, a regular turning of the compost and getting a good hot mix should
surely deter any rates who do think of venturing in.

rob

Old 01-06-2006, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

Cardboard will attract rats only if it is not broken up and too dry
(i.e. suitable for making nests in). Water it well, including from
your bladder, and it will be fine.

you are meaning making nests in the cardboard in the compost heap Nick? If
so, a regular turning of the compost and getting a good hot mix should
surely deter any rates who do think of venturing in.

Ah OK, now I understand. My compost heap does have a large sheet of
cardboard over the top and a few housebricks on top of that to keep it in
place. The heap does get very warm so the top sheet of cardboard may dry
out after a few days.

The heap gets turned with a fork once a week or so.

I think I'll rip the cardboard cover into small pieces and cover the heap
with polythene sheeting instead.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Bobby" wrote in message
Cardboard will attract rats only if it is not broken up and too dry
(i.e. suitable for making nests in). Water it well, including from
your bladder, and it will be fine.

you are meaning making nests in the cardboard in the compost heap Nick?

If
so, a regular turning of the compost and getting a good hot mix should
surely deter any rates who do think of venturing in.

Ah OK, now I understand. My compost heap does have a large sheet of
cardboard over the top and a few housebricks on top of that to keep it in
place. The heap does get very warm so the top sheet of cardboard may dry
out after a few days.

The heap gets turned with a fork once a week or so.

I think I'll rip the cardboard cover into small pieces and cover the heap
with polythene sheeting instead.

or you can use old carpet

rob

Old 01-06-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
nambucca

"Bobby" wrote in message
Cardboard will attract rats only if it is not broken up and too dry
(i.e. suitable for making nests in). Water it well, including from
your bladder, and it will be fine.

Carboard used in layers is absolutely essential for making good compost just
as shredded paper is it provides the woody element and brandling worm just
love to breed in the layers of the cardboard
i have 8 bins all made out of pallets pulled apart and put back together
close boarded .,.......i then line them with heavy duty polythene
...........the mix in compost heaps is vital

Cardboard
shredded paper
shredded prunings
grass
weeds
spent flowers etc
veggie peelings
horse manure
straw

and last but not least buckets of "night water "

layer that lot together pour on the "amber activator " and cover with
polythene a piece of old carpet and a wooden lid

Then turn the contents into an empty bin in 3 months and repeat 3 months
later then cover and leave for 1 year
You will have lovely crumbly fine compost