Old 31-05-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Allen Caius

Default Vegetable Spaghetti

The message
from "Robert" contains these words:

What's the best way to cook and use it please?

I like to cut them in half (around the middle, not lengthwise), take a
thin slice off the ends so that it will stand upright in the oven, scoop
out the seeds, make a mince/onion/mushroom/gravy mix and stuff the
hollow fruit, sprinkle with grated cheese, cover top with aluminium foil
and bake in a medium oven until soft (time depends upon size of fruit).
Serve in a large bowl with chips or whatever takes yer fancy. Oddly, I
had a photo of a baked vegspag on the computer until last week, when I
deleted it :-(

I live in the north of Scotland and have to grow them in a tunnel. This
means that they have to be hand pollinated or the fruits do not swell.
If you suffer from fruits dropping without swelling take the male
flowers (no small fruit behind flower), remove petals and stuff it into
the large bulbous female flower. This does the trick for me.

This year I bought a packet of Zapallo squash seed when in Argentina and
I'm growing these instead of vegspag.

--
Cheers,

Allen