Old 01-06-2006, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Another Compost question

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bobby" writes:

| We have an allotment and I have launched myself into composting in

quite a
| big way this year. We already have 3 compost bins but I have recently
| constructed a compost bay/box from wooden pallets which is approx 4m x

2m.

| I'm using the bay to contain a compost heap, which predominantly

comprises
| layers of grass cuttings and cardboard with the odd bucketful of tea

bags
| and peelings from the kitchen etc.
|
| Last night a couple of the older gardeners on the site advised me to
| consider removing the cardboard because it would act as a magnet to

rats.
| It has always been my understanding that rats were attracted to raw

meat and
| animal feed etc, not cardboard but the other blokes have had allotments

on
| our site for the last 20 years so they must know what they are talking
| about. Right??

Rongg!

Cardboard will attract rats only if it is not broken up and too dry
(i.e. suitable for making nests in). Water it well, including from
your bladder, and it will be fine.

you are meaning making nests in the cardboard in the compost heap Nick? If
so, a regular turning of the compost and getting a good hot mix should
surely deter any rates who do think of venturing in.

rob