Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Another Compost question

"Bobby" wrote in message
Cardboard will attract rats only if it is not broken up and too dry
(i.e. suitable for making nests in). Water it well, including from
your bladder, and it will be fine.

you are meaning making nests in the cardboard in the compost heap Nick?

If
so, a regular turning of the compost and getting a good hot mix should
surely deter any rates who do think of venturing in.

Ah OK, now I understand. My compost heap does have a large sheet of
cardboard over the top and a few housebricks on top of that to keep it in
place. The heap does get very warm so the top sheet of cardboard may dry
out after a few days.

The heap gets turned with a fork once a week or so.

I think I'll rip the cardboard cover into small pieces and cover the heap
with polythene sheeting instead.

or you can use old carpet

rob