Old 02-06-2006, 01:34 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture,aus.science
Malcolm Manners

Default "Pigeon pea". Why so named?

Phred wrote:
In article , Torsten Brinch wrote:

On Wed, 31 May 2006 11:31:05 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

G'day mates,

A question arose today about pigeon pea (still _Cajanus cajan_ to
me; but the taxonomists say it's now in _Atylosia_).

It was quite a simple question: "Why is pigeon pea called pigeon
pea?" [AKA "pigeonpea".]

I have to say, I'm damned if I know why! It's been pigeon pea to me
since I first met it 40 years ago, and I've never wondered why.

According to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pigeon+pea it's simply
"From the use of its seeds as pigeon feed."

While that may well be true, it almost sounds *too* simplistic. After
all, the main use is for human food (red gram, toor dal, etc.)
especially in India.

So where and why has it become associated with bloody pigeons?

I have no idea. Pass.

(An analogous question arises for "chickpea".)

'Chick-pea' comes from French 'pois chiche'. It was originally
imported into English as the singular form 'chich-pease',
but the pommie ear naturally came to hear such a construction as
a plural form, so from it was synthesised the singular form
chich-pea. In the origin the French name 'pois chiche' has nothing
to do with chicken. 'Chiche' is from Latin 'cicer', which means ...
pea :-)

Thanks for that, Torsten. I wonder if, in years to come, we could
have the progression: pea pea -- pee pee -- wee wee? ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

In central Florida, we have the Peace River, and one might think it was
named at the end of a war. However, the more likely story is that there
is a native Vicia that grows on its banks, and it was therefore
originally the Peas River.