Old 17-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Alice Gamewell

Default Fireplace Ash

This is because your garden may need the alkaline ashes to produce better. Not
all do. Especially very alkaline soils. That is why if you do not know the pH
of your garden it is better to put the ashes in the compost than in the garden.
Compost is close to a neutral pH when finished. The ash in the compost adds
nutrients, namely potassium. So you need the ash in your garden. The person
who started this post may not.
So we need to be careful of the advice we give other people.

SAS567 wrote:

I add my ashes to the compost bin. I try to avoid putting too much directly
in
the garden because it makes the soil alkaline.

I have put my fireplace ashes in my veggie gardens for 12 yrs. now and they
both just keep getting better every year. I only burn hardwoods in my
fireplace.
Sue in Mi.