Old 02-06-2006, 07:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Default Mushrooms on Lawn ?

Bob Sacamano wrote:

Why am I getting mushrooms?

Acid soil. You could take a mixture of 5 samples to a local Extension
Service and have it analyzed to verify that.

How do get rid of them - chemically?

Apply lime, real lime, not pelletized limestone. Buy it in a tile
supply store. It will be about $5 per 50 lb bag.

Lime is messy to apply and I'm hoping that the new "pH Plus" and "Liquid
Lime" will work out. They are applied with a hose-end sprayer. My
first purchase was $30 for a 5000 sqft bottle. But the sprayer lacked a
gasket and leaked all over. I had to revert to a standard pump sprayer.

Note that lime will also combat moss. I've got a few test cases going
on that. Ask me at the end of the summer what happened!

I read if I dig them out along
with 2 inches of surround soil that would work but I would rather not..

You should post your chiropractor's name and number.

What happens if I eat these mushrooms?

You'll either die or you'll get very sick.

I found myself at a meeting of the Boston Micological society about 40
years ago. One of the presentations was by a lady who had been picking
and identifying mushrooms for 14 years. That was the first time she had
the courage to eat a wild mushroom that she had identified.