Old 02-06-2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Rhamnus

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:39:38 +0100, DavePoole Torquay wrote
(in article .com):

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Mine's covered in small red berries, anyone ever tried them from seed (they
are a "B" to do from cuttings!)

Try stratifying them Charlie. Leave the seeds in their berries, cover
them with sand, place in a sheltered spot out of doors and forget about
them till early next spring. Unearth the berries, wash the seeds clean
of any remnants, then give them a 20 minute soak in 5% hypochlorite
solution to kill any bacteria. Sow immediately in sandy, sterilised
compost, lightly covering the seeds and maintain temperatures of around
20 - 23C. Subsequent germination is usually quite rapid.

Our berries aren't anything like ready and not that prolific. I read
somewhere that nodal tip cuttings are a good way to try propagating Rhamnus
but I don't recall where I got that from. It must have stuck in my mind
because they're such brutes to get going and I'm no propagating expert. I'll
make a note of your berry advice, David and try that too, later on.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk