Old 02-06-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Rhamnus

Mine's covered in small red berries, anyone ever tried them from seed (they
are a "B" to do from cuttings!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 02-06-2006, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Mine's covered in small red berries, anyone ever tried them from seed (they
are a "B" to do from cuttings!)

Try stratifying them Charlie. Leave the seeds in their berries, cover
them with sand, place in a sheltered spot out of doors and forget about
them till early next spring. Unearth the berries, wash the seeds clean
of any remnants, then give them a 20 minute soak in 5% hypochlorite
solution to kill any bacteria. Sow immediately in sandy, sterilised
compost, lightly covering the seeds and maintain temperatures of around
20 - 23C. Subsequent germination is usually quite rapid.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 22:39:38 +0100, DavePoole Torquay wrote
(in article .com):

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Mine's covered in small red berries, anyone ever tried them from seed (they
are a "B" to do from cuttings!)

Try stratifying them Charlie. Leave the seeds in their berries, cover
them with sand, place in a sheltered spot out of doors and forget about
them till early next spring. Unearth the berries, wash the seeds clean
of any remnants, then give them a 20 minute soak in 5% hypochlorite
solution to kill any bacteria. Sow immediately in sandy, sterilised
compost, lightly covering the seeds and maintain temperatures of around
20 - 23C. Subsequent germination is usually quite rapid.

Our berries aren't anything like ready and not that prolific. I read
somewhere that nodal tip cuttings are a good way to try propagating Rhamnus
but I don't recall where I got that from. It must have stuck in my mind
because they're such brutes to get going and I'm no propagating expert. I'll
make a note of your berry advice, David and try that too, later on.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-06-2006, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

al.net...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
[...]

Thanks David I shall have a go, although my plant is variegated so I suspect
I won't get that! but the stems are covered in very small red berries, we
had seen the flowers earlier and I was very surprised to see berries so
early as the flowers were when the hollies came out so you would expect
berries later in the year (I thought they were ladybirds untill I got me
glasses on!)