Old 03-06-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MaggieW

Default Intro - Better late than never!

Hello "Space",

really chilly in south Liverpool?
it's glorious here in north Liverpooly

Northerly wind or north-wester gusts into our yard - and we don't get a
lot of sun, house very roughly faces south, so yard is on northern side
and is decidedly frigid for an awful lot of the time! ;-) It looked
lovely out, but just too cold for me!

So I'm doing all my gardening in the kitchen still (well, might not have
done today, but we had a family lunch and only got back in time for Dr
Who and it's a bit late for me to get out now). I bring pots in, pot
on, then take them straight out again.

Am beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to leave my tomato seedlings
outside! ;-)

hello btw

Thank you.

I'm not much of a gardener, well not yet. but I do aspire to be. you sound
as if you are doing ok. our previous house had a back yard and I had so
little space or lack of imagination to do anything within the confines of
solid block paving. now I have space and soil to work with but without the
"know how" it is a slow process.

I'm sure you'll pick up the know how soon enough. I just plant anything
I fancy the look of, sometimes it thrives, sometimes it dies. Had a lot
of fun this year with seeds - mainly easy ones like nasturtiums. I
cheated on the tomatoes - got seedlings. Maybe next year I'll try from
seed.

I'd love a "proper" garden, but wouldn't have the energy to look after
it properly. So I get HUGE pots and seem to get reasonable results,
with some inevitable failures - mainly due to the beastly snails and
slimy slugs GRRRRRR!

Husband isn't keen on gardening, other than he loves to dig deep holes,
haul stuff around, lay edgings and so on. So I get to do the fun stuff
for me (seeds and planting and planning) and he does the labouring work
which is fun for him. He very kindly does the nematode application too.

Hoping for a nice day tomorrow - daughters bought husband a "day out"
for his 60th last September, and he's going gliding (near Denbigh).
I'll be recovering from today, and maybe doing a bit of gentle potting
on - it'd be nice to be able to do it outside for a change.

Best wishes from sunny Aigburth,

Maggie