Old 02-06-2006, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MaggieW

Default Intro - Better late than never!

Hi Folks,

I just leapt in when I joined this newsgroup but thought maybe it would
be nice to make a "proper" intro post.

We live in a terraced house in South Liverpool, so only have a small
back yard, and an even smaller "front garden" - about 2 square yards.
Did a tiny amount of gardening when the kids (now 25 and 27!) were
small, mainly things like geraniums and lobelia in pots.

Began to get more serious about gardening when husband gave me a large
blue ceramic pot of Stargazer lilies for my 50th birthday (am 57 now),
these live at the caravan, though have been replaced a couple of times -
the bunnies love them! :-( And the slugs too I think.

Back yard in Liverpool is full of plants, unfortunately many of them are
weeds! ;-) Last year grew runner beans for the first time, they were
really pretty when flowering (and the bees loved them), and really yummy
when cooked. Bought bean plants again this year, but it's been too cold
and windy to plant them on yet - need to get new BIG pot for them too.

Lots of violets - tend to treat them as weeds as they seed so
prolifically! My Mum did warn me when she gave me a few seedlings. But
if I have to have weeds violets are lovely ones to have.

Have various things that have come from school and church fetes over the
years. A really nice yellow day lily that has put up a load of flowers
this year - previously it's only given me one or two flower stems.
Dwarf iris, but sadly the only flower on that got mashed this spring
(the problem with having building work done!), and another one that may
be iris sibirica, which is about to flower I hope!

We like to keep the wild flowers in the hedge at the caravan, but have
put in some bushes, and also herbs. Lots of pots, but from the pictures
John took last Sunday a lot of stuff hasn't survived the winter. And
what has looks a mess - will take cuttings when I get down there.
Pictures here (bit depressing!):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpo...7594150021211/

When I have the time and energy I blog too, so you can find stuff about
both my gardens here (and elder daughter's garden in London too):
http://liverpool-leftovers.blogspot.com/

I am quite disabled by ME/CFS, so gardening is difficult for me.
Husband likes digging big holes and that kind of thing, so he does the
heavy work - I do the fiddly bits like sowing seeds, planting pots up
and so on.

Am feeling happy today as one of my Datura (Brugmansia?) Ballerina Mix
seeds has just shown it's head - happy dance! :-)

My best success I think was the Morning Glories I grew last year by our
front door:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liverpo...vers/42650167/

Sorry this is so long!

Maggie
in Liverpool, where it's *really* chilly outside!
Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

really chilly in south Liverpool?
it's glorious here in north Liverpool

hello btw

I'm not much of a gardener, well not yet. but I do aspire to be. you sound
as if you are doing ok. our previous house had a back yard and I had so
little space or lack of imagination to do anything within the confines of
solid block paving. now I have space and soil to work with but without the
"know how" it is a slow process.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris S

"MaggieW" wrote in message

[...]

Welcome to urg, Maggie. You'll learn a lot if you hang around. :-)

Chris S

Old 03-06-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MaggieW

Hello "Space",

really chilly in south Liverpool?
it's glorious here in north Liverpooly

Northerly wind or north-wester gusts into our yard - and we don't get a
lot of sun, house very roughly faces south, so yard is on northern side
and is decidedly frigid for an awful lot of the time! ;-) It looked
lovely out, but just too cold for me!

So I'm doing all my gardening in the kitchen still (well, might not have
done today, but we had a family lunch and only got back in time for Dr
Who and it's a bit late for me to get out now). I bring pots in, pot
on, then take them straight out again.

Am beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to leave my tomato seedlings
outside! ;-)

hello btw

Thank you.

I'm not much of a gardener, well not yet. but I do aspire to be. you sound
as if you are doing ok. our previous house had a back yard and I had so
little space or lack of imagination to do anything within the confines of
solid block paving. now I have space and soil to work with but without the
"know how" it is a slow process.

I'm sure you'll pick up the know how soon enough. I just plant anything
I fancy the look of, sometimes it thrives, sometimes it dies. Had a lot
of fun this year with seeds - mainly easy ones like nasturtiums. I
cheated on the tomatoes - got seedlings. Maybe next year I'll try from
seed.

I'd love a "proper" garden, but wouldn't have the energy to look after
it properly. So I get HUGE pots and seem to get reasonable results,
with some inevitable failures - mainly due to the beastly snails and
slimy slugs GRRRRRR!

Husband isn't keen on gardening, other than he loves to dig deep holes,
haul stuff around, lay edgings and so on. So I get to do the fun stuff
for me (seeds and planting and planning) and he does the labouring work
which is fun for him. He very kindly does the nematode application too.

Hoping for a nice day tomorrow - daughters bought husband a "day out"
for his 60th last September, and he's going gliding (near Denbigh).
I'll be recovering from today, and maybe doing a bit of gentle potting
on - it'd be nice to be able to do it outside for a change.

Best wishes from sunny Aigburth,

Maggie

Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Chris S" wrote
"MaggieW" wrote
I just leapt in when I joined this newsgroup but thought maybe it
would be nice to make a "proper" intro post.

snip

Welcome to urg, Maggie. You'll learn a lot if you hang around. :-)

Yes welcome.

Pruning f'instance. You learn a lot of useful tips on pruning. ;-)

--
Sue