Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc
Dick

Default Black brush algae..excess phosphates? - Excel

160 watts over 55 gallons is almost 3 watts per gallon. I use 1.5 w/g
or lower as the definition of "low light." I don't know what happens
when low light plants are exposed to "high light" conditions. Could
this be a problem?

dick

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 17:59:42 -0500, "Koi-Lo" None wrote:

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Dick" wrote in message
.. .
I think it depends how fancy you want to be. My first plants died as
they were not low light. Next I ordered a variety pack for "low
light". Some died, but those that survived have done well for over 3
years and I have used starters to populate my other tanks.

I also have such plants as mentioned. They thrive on neglect but fairly
good lighting - hornwart, vals, anubias, Java moss and a few old crypts that
lived and grew slowly. I have four 40w fluorescent bulbs over each 55g
tank. I can't fit anymore.

I don't use fertilizer nor CO2 nor special sub layers. I have 3
different types of gravels, but the plants do well in all 3.

My only problem is pruning the excess growth. I hate throwing out
perfectly healthy plants.

I know the feeling. The hornwart and vals can really take over. All my
hornwart died at one time last winter, but for one small piece in a 10g
tank. I am re-growing it from that one small piece. ;-) I may just go
back to these old favorites.

I think that those that talk about ferilizers, substrates and CO2 want
to match the tank condition to the plants they want to have. I work
it the other way and have plants that are happy with the tank
conditions.

There you go! I do that with my fish. With my hard alkaline water I stick
to fish that thrive in it rather than those that don't. With the plants I
thought I'd try something new....... some new plants.

My tanks are very attractive to my eyes and the fish are happy to have
resting areas. They run into the heavy growth to rest and I have no
need for caves. I do have 3 ornaments that a few of the fish use, but
the majority are content with their leafy glades.

dick