Old 17-03-2003, 05:56 PM
John T. Jarrett

Default Organic Black Spot Control - what do you use?

Last year I got the Schultz spray with the organic marigold insecticide in
it (trying to be organic) and someone on the list (animeaux) pointed out
that the OTHER ingredient was still toxic. :-/

So, I do a little research and go buy Sulphur Powder thinking that sounds
organic. I mixed a gallon with 4 Tbsp. as per the label and sprayed my rose
bushes. Boy, all those yellow drops on the new red leaves are some kind of
ugly. And the WARNING label on the sulphur is little better than that on a
fungicide! Wear a mask, don't go in the garden for 24 hours, don't get on
your skin - right, how do you NOT get it on your skin?!?!?! And just how do
you dust the bottom of a leaf, anyway?

Googleing for an hour now in this and other newsgroups (like
rec.gardens.roses) I've seen this the most often:

1-2 Tbs Baking Soda
1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
1 Tsp to 1 Tbs Liquid Soap

With kids and animals all over the yard, I am not going to apply a
fungicide, systemic or otherwise. But the sulphur says keep kids and animals
away, too.

What do you use?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--