Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default sod in June

On 2006-06-05, Javier wrote:
Hello,

I'm getting conflicting advise from a couple of landscapers that I've
solicited bids from, regarding laying sod in my back yard. We're in Wake
Cty, just south of Raleigh, and our yard has fescue grass on it. Some
portions of it need to be re-sodded due to a large construction project.

One is telling me "no problem".

The other is telling me that I should wait until fall, because if they
lay the sod now, it is unlikely it will thrive in the hot summer months
and will die before cool weather arrives.

Who's right?

-jav

Both possibly. If it is not getting full sun all day and if you have no
water restrictions and a good well then the sod may survive.

If you use can't or are not allowed unlimited water then it will probably
die. But if you need something to prevent erosion now you may have to
bite the bullet and plan on sodding and reseeding in the fall.

In July and August you need probably 1.5 inches of rain per week to
keep it alive. If you don't get it from rain you have to water it.

It is best to give it one long soaking rather than trying to put a
little on each day. The deeper the water goes, the deeper the grass
roots.

Good luck.

is a garbage address.