Old 05-06-2006, 05:02 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Javier

Default sod in June

Hello,

I'm getting conflicting advise from a couple of landscapers that I've
solicited bids from, regarding laying sod in my back yard. We're in Wake
Cty, just south of Raleigh, and our yard has fescue grass on it. Some
portions of it need to be re-sodded due to a large construction project.

One is telling me "no problem".

The other is telling me that I should wait until fall, because if they
lay the sod now, it is unlikely it will thrive in the hot summer months
and will die before cool weather arrives.

Who's right?

-jav
Old 05-06-2006, 07:02 PM posted to triangle.gardens
The Wanderer

The last one is right. Cool weather grasses, i.e., tall fescue, should
be planted or overseeded sometime in September. Depends on how hot it
is. The cooler the better. You might try this link for more info
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/lawns/

Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-06-05, Javier wrote:
Hello,

I'm getting conflicting advise from a couple of landscapers that I've
solicited bids from, regarding laying sod in my back yard. We're in Wake
Cty, just south of Raleigh, and our yard has fescue grass on it. Some
portions of it need to be re-sodded due to a large construction project.

One is telling me "no problem".

The other is telling me that I should wait until fall, because if they
lay the sod now, it is unlikely it will thrive in the hot summer months
and will die before cool weather arrives.

Who's right?

-jav

Both possibly. If it is not getting full sun all day and if you have no
water restrictions and a good well then the sod may survive.

If you use can't or are not allowed unlimited water then it will probably
die. But if you need something to prevent erosion now you may have to
bite the bullet and plan on sodding and reseeding in the fall.

In July and August you need probably 1.5 inches of rain per week to
keep it alive. If you don't get it from rain you have to water it.

It is best to give it one long soaking rather than trying to put a
little on each day. The deeper the water goes, the deeper the grass
roots.

Good luck.

is a garbage address.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:35 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Craig Watts

Javier wrote:
Hello,

I'm getting conflicting advise from a couple of landscapers that I've
solicited bids from, regarding laying sod in my back yard. We're in Wake
Cty, just south of Raleigh, and our yard has fescue grass on it. Some
portions of it need to be re-sodded due to a large construction project.

One is telling me "no problem".

The other is telling me that I should wait until fall, because if they
lay the sod now, it is unlikely it will thrive in the hot summer months
and will die before cool weather arrives.

Who's right?

-jav

Did you know you can buy it from a retail business at the
Farmer's Market? We did it this past weekend. First time for
me. The only thing I heard is that you have to be careful of
fire ants as it is brought up from South Carolina. I do not
know if this is true but we took pre-cautions.

Craig
Old 05-06-2006, 11:03 PM posted to triangle.gardens

Default Fire ants (Was: sod in June)

Craig Watts wrote:
Did you know you can buy [sod] from a retail business at the
Farmer's Market? We did it this past weekend. First time for
me. The only thing I heard is that you have to be careful of
fire ants as it is brought up from South Carolina. I do not
know if this is true but we took pre-cautions.

Fire ants are in the Triangle now. It's only a matter of time before
you'll find a colony in your yard. All we can do now is kill 'em as
they appear.

More from NCSU Extension:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/ifa.htm

Old 06-06-2006, 05:16 PM posted to triangle.gardens

On 2006-06-05, Craig Watts wrote:
Javier wrote:
[...]

It is a moot point anymore we have fire ants in Wake County now. I
began noticing mounds 5 years ago.

is a garbage address.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:00 PM posted to triangle.gardens

I highly recommend the retail sod place at the farmer's market. It is
called Super Sod. I have purchased fescue sod from them all through
the year and it has grown fine in sun/shade, etc. The staff there is
very helpful. My son works there and I would recommend them to anyone,
not because he works there but because all of the staff is knowedgeable
and very helpful. If you need suggestions or help in getting the sod
layed, they have referrals/resources. Good luck!

Just put down 10 pallets of Tiff Sod, what do I do now? Route Man Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
when to sod st augustine Randy Marsh Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
grass sod question? jeffrey Gardening 0 28-03-2003 05:44 PM
Sod Lifter Astro Obs Texas 2 05-03-2003 08:18 PM
Time to set out St. Augustine sod? Sam Texas 1 23-02-2003 10:49 PM