Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Berberis thunbergii - new variety?

Well, I sowed a few seeds from my Berberis thunbergii "aurea", and
one survived. It is slightly greener, but the young leaves are
irregularly edged with red (and it goes red in autumn). My wife
is luke warm, but I think that it is quite nice and can't find a
match to any current varieties. Do we have a B. thunbergii expert
to confirm?

As with its parent, it is slow-growing, and it hasn't flowered yet.
I shall layer it as soon as it is big enough. No, I don't think
that it will make my fortune :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.