Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Berberis thunbergii - new variety?

Well, I sowed a few seeds from my Berberis thunbergii "aurea", and
one survived. It is slightly greener, but the young leaves are
irregularly edged with red (and it goes red in autumn). My wife
is luke warm, but I think that it is quite nice and can't find a
match to any current varieties. Do we have a B. thunbergii expert
to confirm?

As with its parent, it is slow-growing, and it hasn't flowered yet.
I shall layer it as soon as it is big enough. No, I don't think
that it will make my fortune :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Basia Kulesz

Użytkownik "Nick Maclaren" napisał w wiadomo¶ci

Well, I sowed a few seeds from my Berberis thunbergii "aurea", and
one survived. It is slightly greener, but the young leaves are
irregularly edged with red (and it goes red in autumn). My wife
is luke warm, but I think that it is quite nice and can't find a
match to any current varieties. Do we have a B. thunbergii expert
to confirm?

As with its parent, it is slow-growing, and it hasn't flowered yet.
I shall layer it as soon as it is big enough. No, I don't think
that it will make my fortune :-(

Sounds just like Berberis 'Maria', a Polish variety, which won a Bronze
Medal at Plantarium in 2005 Try this link
http://www.kurowski.pl/pl/katalog.php?action=3, I'm afraid the photos are
not good, but the description fits nicely, autumn colour included. And it is
also a mutation of 'Aurea' cultivar.

Regards, Barbara.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Basia Kulesz" writes:

| Sounds just like Berberis 'Maria', a Polish variety, which won a Bronze
| Medal at Plantarium in 2005 Try this link
| http://www.kurowski.pl/pl/katalog.php?action=3, I'm afraid the photos are
| not good, but the description fits nicely, autumn colour included. And it is
| also a mutation of 'Aurea' cultivar.

Thanks very much. Yes, it is fairly similar, though it has a lot more
red in spring and summer, and is less well coloured in autumn. I don't
think that mine would win a bronze medal, but I shall see how it goes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.