Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default advice on muching around a tree where there is grass

"Phisherman" wrote in message

On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 11:41:38 -0400, "Uleetsa Moscowa"
wrote:

I planted three trees (2 Norwegian maples and 1 dwarf
magnolia-
Zone-5/6- Cincinnati's northern suburb -Ohio)
The two maples are growing tall and the drop line is slowly
expanding. The magnolia has grown also wider and taller. The
original circle around the trunk where I mulched is too small
compared to the drip line.
I am told that I should expand the mulched circle area so
that
the trees can spread. There is grass all round.
Now-I have lots of questions. Please feel free to comment
1) DO I EXPAND the MULCHED area?

Don't need to. I have trees that are not mulched at all.

Yes. The trees will be competing with the grass for water and
nutrients if you don't.

2) Do I have to remove the grass before mulching? (I am told
it
is more harmful to remove grass since roots of the tree are
also
embedded with the grass roots)

Don't need to, although some grass may grow up through the
mulch.
You can put down 4 -5 layers of newspaper then put the mulch on
top
of that. Best not to mound mulch next to the bark, as this can
promote disease and bark-gnawing rodents.

3) Can I mow the grass to almost the lowest setting of the
lawn
mower and mulch?

Yes.

4) Do I have to add any fertilizer before applying the mulch
over
the 'clipped' grass?

No.

Thanks for the help